Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,198   Posts: 1,531,436   Online: 823

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images

Picked up a Nikkor AI 85/2 in good user condition

Nice compact. Glass just perfect. Anyone else have this lens? AI or AIS?
    Akiva S.

Nikkormat FTN, Nikon F, Nikon FE, Leica M3

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero/

My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes. Great little lens. Love it for portraits.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Excellent!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've got the AF 85/1.8, which is completely different, but I love this focal length. The 85/2 is considered to be the least desirable of Nikon's 85s, but I've read more than a couple of owner reviews of the lens and I get the impression that the /2 is underrated.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It will be your favorite until you pick up a 105/2.5.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've got an AIS sample with a rather loose focus ring. Still works well. Doesn't see tons of action, but I've gotten shots I like from it.

Couple of my early frames on Tri-X with the 85mm f2 AIS:

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have an 85mm f2.0 AI version of this lens. It is often overlooked by those wishing to get the much larger and heavier f1.4 version, and I think that lens is why the f2.0 has been so looked down upon. Perhaps there was poor quality control at some point, but the example I got is quite good. The defocus and wide open are not as good as the 105mm f2.5, but that lens is nearly legendary from Nikon. One thing I think very important on the 85mm f2.0 is to use the lens hood, since this lens can be very prone to flare from light striking the surface of the front element directly. Use the lens hood always, and no worries.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've got an AI 105 f/2.5 too, and yes that lens is absolutely spectacular. But I find that focal length a little bit too long for my liking and it doesn't see nearly as much use as the 85. I don't understand what the gripe about the 85 f/2 lens is. I mainly use mine between f/4 and f/8, and at these apertures it's a hard one to beat.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Yeah, I really think this lens is kinda under-rated. In comparison with my H.C. 1.8, MF 1.4 and AF 1.8, at 5.6-11 they are all pretty interchangeable in terms of sharpness. At f2 and 2.8 the 85mm f2 holds up quite well, yes, not as good as the 1.4 or the AF but not by much. In fact the influence of a slight veiling flare (wide open to 1/2 stops down) looks quite nice in some portraits, quite handy on the ladies of a certain era, if you know what I mean. My version of the 85mm f2 is the Ai, and I really wish I had the Ais, the long-----> throw makes it slow handling, the 1.4 is quicker (even the 1.8) in fast moving situations.

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nyoung View Post
    It will be your favorite until you pick up a 105/2.5.
    Picked up a pre AI 105/2.5. Wow sharp as a tack. But love the compact size of the 85/2.
    Akiva S.

Nikkormat FTN, Nikon F, Nikon FE, Leica M3

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero/

My Blog

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin