Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,963   Posts: 1,558,352   Online: 821

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 26789101112
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rol_Lei Nut View Post
    The K1000 may have been good value in its time when someone wanted to purchase a new camera.....In today's market, recommending one is absurd, as the *myth* makes it more expensive than the better Ks, and one could perhaps even get a Nikon F2 for the price of one.
    Have you checked "the current market"?

K-1000's are going for peanuts. Check sold items on eBay. They're currently fetching only about $40~50....with a 50mm lens!!!!! No way can you touch an F2 for that kinda money.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisPlatt View Post
    Your personal dislike of the K1000 notwithstanding, over 3 million units sold says it's a classic.

Chris
    One more vote for the K1000.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

American Classics

Ralph,

I kind of like cars that were made in the 1950's although many automotive enthusiasts would say that they are not classics. Some mopar engines from the fifties that are worthy of note:

331 Chrysler Hemi (1951) The first stock hemis
    345 DeSoto Hemi (1956-7) The first stock engine to produce one HP per Cu. In.
    392 Crysler Hemi (1957-8) The drag racer's favorite
    413 Wedge Very underrated
    426 Hemi What can I say

As for the Argus as a classic? They were produced in very large numbers but I doubt if many people today would know what one was, even if they held one in their hand. The same could be said of a Kodak Instamatic. One of the most rcognizable cameras ever made is the Speed Graphic with a Graflite attached.

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    ....283? That was Chevy.

I think Mopar had a 273...no? and from this came the 318, etc...

and whoa! you left off the 340 ! (my favorite)
    Brad,

I don't remember a 283.

Some dodge engines:

270 V-8 1955 Super Red Ram
    276 V-8 1954 DeSoto Hemi
    291 V-8 1955 DeSoto Hemi

Chrysler came out with a 318 V-8 in 1960. The 5.2 liter engines of recent vintage are 318 cu. in. There have been millions of 318's in several types made during the last 50 years.

Dave

Shooter
    35mm RF
    My classification:
    Nikon F & F2
    Topcon RE Super & Super DM
    Pentax Spotmatic, Spotmatic ES, Spotmatic F. KX, MX, K1000 & LX
    Zeiss Ikon Contarex
    Canon F-1 Old, FT-b QL & EF
    Leicaflex SL, SL2 & R3
    Minolta SRT-101, SRT-303, XM & XD7
    Olympus OM-1, OM-2 & OM-4
    Fujica ST-801
    Ciao.
    Vincenzo

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    Have you checked "the current market"?

K-1000's are going for peanuts. Check sold items on eBay. They're currently fetching only about $40~50....with a 50mm lens!!!!! No way can you touch an F2 for that kinda money.
    The reason you can do that is that there are so many of them out there. To their credit a lot of them are still working well. There isn't a college campus in the USA (even now in the age of the DSLR) where you won't walk into their photography classes and not see quite a few of the students sporting them. Some will have Nikon, Canon et all, but a lot of those students go Pentax for their first film camera.

Why? Because they can get them cheap, because it doesn't blow their whole student budget to get a few lenses and because the K1000 is the perfect manual camera for someone who is learning to shoot and develop their own film. Most students will move on eventually, true. But even when they have a more expensive Nikon or a Canon in their hands a lot of them will still recall that K1000 fondly.

It's a darned good camera. I'm more of a Spotmatic fan myself but if one came my way, particularly a brown SE version? I wouldn't turn it down, that's for sure. In my mind what makes a classic camera "classic" is that people really like it, will continue to use it, will keep it up even when newer cameras replace it, for years and years.

I personally think that a lot of the Pentax cameras that came after the Spotties, the K series were plastic junk by comparison. If someone handed me a P series Pentax I'd find a home for it, but if someone handed me a Spottie or a K1000? No way I'd give it up unless I had more than one maybe.

I've used other cameras, been given one or two, borrowed a few more to play with over the past few years, but for me it always comes back to the Pentax SP's. Other cameras they may come over the years but my Spottie is forever and that is what makes it "classic." I still got it. I still use it and I always will have one for so long as I can still get film to put inside it!

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 26789101112

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin