Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,965   Posts: 1,558,395   Online: 874

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by df cardwell View Post
    cannot let this project finish without some portrait work

Got it. Can you swing the 70-200 zoom (non USM) ? Yeah, I know almost the same as the f/1.2,
    and the f/1.8 is supposed to be working !

Good pictures, Tom.
    I have a 70-200 F4 and so dont want to double up here (it is also in the UK). I really wanted a smallish and light 85mm. No doubt the lens is a cracker when working right - I was amazed at the wide open performance up close. I will either have to wait for the 135 when I go home, get another 85 1.8 from elsewhere or plumb for the 85 1.2...

I already have a few portraits but they are the 50mm variety that are more upper/full body. Gotta make a decision soon, but am whincing at the cost of a 85 1.2. I could get a 100m macro, but I dont shoot macro and its very close to the 135 in FL.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've ordered a 85 1.2 II using my kidneys as collateral. I did some portraits using the duff 1.8 that I will be returning, by turning it upside down to that the soft lower right is not on the face hopefully they will be OK! This way if the 85 1.8s were subject to a terrible batch, I will be OK. Alternatively if B&H's entire stock came in on a container that got dropped from a crane I will be no better off with the 1.2. And there I was debating whether to bring my 135L out here and decided not to...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Merry Christmas, Tom !

The 85/1.2 was your destiny !

d
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Maybe there was some extreme heat from global warming that caused one of the plastic lens elements to melt or cause lubricant to get into the electronics or something else bizarre. Or maybe that production line (in China or Indonesia or Japan) didn't do adequate testing on a batch of lens. One of those things that you'll never know, as I believe spot checks are done but not tests on individual lenses -- at least for non-L lenses.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just hope the 85 1.2 works out and is worth the loss of internal organs. Assuming no problems with the 85 1.2, I need to make sure I produce the goods while wishing I did not have a real job (one of those things that always gets in the way).... work is so inconvenient.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Leighgion View Post
    I don't know if your individual lens issue falls under this, but Canon has apparently been having some major issues both in design and quality control in both lenses and camera bodies. The bulk of the problems are falling on the AF with no tangible answers in sight.

While I am a Nikon shooter, I take no joy in this. I haven't seen the Canon 85mm 1.8 mentioned specifically, so hopefully your problem is isolated and not endemic.
    Pentax, too, though they are really a "digital-only" manufacturer at this stage. In fact, some of their recent primes for their K-series digial cameras have been derided as useless due to extreme AF problems.

People may not realize it but, increasingly, Canon and Nikon do not manufacture their own glass - save for their pro ranges. Pentax no longer manufactures any of its lenses at all (the old "AOCO" factory in Tokyo is rubble).

There's a lot of sharing of components among lens makes now and lens OEMs supply several makes. Thus, it isn't surprising that problems are far-reaching when they occur.
    Digital Photography is just "why-tech" not "high tech"..

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin