Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,940   Posts: 1,585,684   Online: 983

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF

Nikon F3 meter problems

I recently purchased a Nikon F3 from KEH EX rating, the meter at first worked perfectly fine. After the first exposure to the cold the meter went haywire (around 32 degrees) and the numbers came up all choppy and the plus and minus sign for over and under exposure appeared at random intervals, ever since the camera has totally warmed up and the batteries even replaced to be sure, the error has no subsided and remains fully in effect, whats wrong with my camera?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It could be that the meter is OK and that the display is the problem. Is the exposure OK or not?
    If I remember correctly it was recommended that the F3's LCD display should be changed every seven years.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    i now use my pentax digital spotmeter, but this is a burden when i want to shoot on the street to carry two items, actually i think i forgot to mention that its the display, im sure the meter works fine but i sure cant read it! what am i to do about it? where and how do i change it?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I may be wrong, but I think that you need a new LCD display, and even if you got one it is not easy to change without the right tools.
    I suggest that you use it in AE-mode. Aim and lock the time i necessary.
    Making a guess of the settings is not that hard, and let the camera set the exact time. You set the aperture based on your estimate and the camera does the rest.

Shooter
    35mm
    My experiences with that camera are as follows:

In the cold, the display turns into dark appearance. That seems in your eye like blinking symbols. If it is getting colder, the display will get totally dark, but it recreates in the warm.

The change of the display after seven years is imho being safe for Nikon and getting money from the customer. I use my F3, since i bought her new in the early 80's, without servicing it or changing the display with excellent results, also in rough conditions.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I had similar problem with display - the numbers simply dissapeared or became +-2888 or something like that.... I had carefully opened the display "block" and then closed and tighten it all back together and it just started to work as it should work, so I think it is very sensitive to misalignment of contacts due to temperature changes & so on.
    But maybe this isn't your case.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I refuse to ever use automatic exposure. Ever. I base my exposures on a series of meterings, even when using only the cameras 80% weighed metering in the center, i never make an average exposure of the scene.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Cold weather is also a bitch on batteries.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    haha yea i knew that one to be true, just seems it got my LCD this time too

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikanon View Post
    I refuse to ever use automatic exposure. Ever. I base my exposures on a series of meterings, even when using only the cameras 80% weighed metering in the center, i never make an average exposure of the scene.
    Mighty strong sentiment there. I have been using my F3 on automatic for a few years now. My other Nikons are used in conjunction with either a hand-held spot meter or with my best guess exposure system. I've found that the F3 does a really good job of calculating an exposure in the automatic mode based on the comparisons of negatives from the F3 against negatives from my other cameras. Bottom line, if you are forced to go automatic with your F3, your exposure will be acceptable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin