Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,557   Posts: 1,573,273   Online: 1018

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it worth it?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Is it worth it?

Someone is selling an OM-1n with 55 f1.2 and 100mm 2.8 Zuiko lenses for £100, trouble is I phoned the woman and she knows little about cameras, I managed to determine over the phone that the camera is probably working ("pull the leaver and press the button does it go clunk?" "yes") I asked her too look through the lenses up to the light and it didn't sound too promising, she said she could see a few "cobwebby things" trouble is it's nearly an hours drive from here, is it still worth going for a look because of the cheap price?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ajuk View Post
    Someone is selling an OM-1n with 55 f1.2 and 100mm 2.8 Zuiko lenses for £100, trouble is I phoned the woman and she knows little about cameras, I managed to determine over the phone that the camera is probably working ("pull the leaver and press the button does it go clunk?" "yes") I asked her too look through the lenses up to the light and it didn't sound too promising, she said she could see a few "cobwebby things" trouble is it's nearly an hours drive from here, is it still worth going for a look because of the cheap price?
    Without any other data I would say save the gas or in your case save the petro.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Seems a little high to me. I got an OM4 for not much more than what she wants for an OM1n. Also, be aware that the OM1 takes mercury batteries which are no longer around. However, I should confess that I have an OM1 and I love it. One plus is the zuiko lenses are simply fantastic and pretty cheap these days. I would keep looking. There is sure to be a bargain out there somewhere. Have you considered an OM2 - both auto and manual exposure modes?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I more interested in the lenses TBH I have plenty of Zinc air batteries to fit an OM-1 although I would probably sell the camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've driven further to look at something & not bought.
    There's nothing like handling the merchandise.
    The lady may be describing fungus, she may not & you won't know if you don't look and besides if she's that honest with you on the phone she will take less if the lenses do need a CLA.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Yeah I mean if they are aright I will have the bargain of the century there is a 55mm 1.2 on ebay with an asking price of £310 and once recently sold for £270 the 100mm recently went for £170 and an OM-1 is worth about £50-60 I think.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Maybe they are actually cobwebs .

I'd go for the drive.

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ajuk View Post
    ...trouble is it's nearly an hours drive from here...
    Take a camera and "make a day of it".

Shooter
    35mm
    You don't say if one or both lenses have the 'cobwebby things'? but at that price its worth going for a look. If they both do have fungus maybe you could explain and offer less or even break up the package and take the items that you like.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Galah View Post
    Take a camera and "make a day of it".
    I was going to suggest this as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin