Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,662   Online: 829

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

So, got the AE1-program today

Meh, it has the squeek. The camera is in decent shape. It has a couple of dings in the body, but other than a little dust is clean. The lenses it came with look pretty good. 50mm f1.8, and 70-210 f4, both canon lenses. It also came with a speedlite 188a which is pretty much mint. It also came with a vivtar tele-converter 2x-4, but that has a chunk of something in the optics.

Both lenses also have UV filters. Given that it was all 60 bucks, I came out ok, but I'm a bit bummed about the squeek as the guy said it didn't have it.

The sealing foam also needs to be replaced.

The guts look clean as far as I have opened it so far.

MolBasser
    If you don't eat a hotdog, the terrorists win.

Shooter
    35mm
    Speaking of the squeek, I guess I don't really know what it sounds like, but I can only imagine what I am hearing is it.

The shutter itself sounds ok, and it moves fine, but there is a "up and down" squeel before and after release. I can only imagine that this the the mirror arm thingy that people talk about. I'm off to read more about it to maybe lube it myself or send it out.

I assume that I will damage the camera if I release the shutter too often with the squeek.... yes?

MolBasser

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    I have the same camera and heard about "the squeak" on other threads. When I trip the shutter I hear the particular sound of this type of shutter (not mechanical thump sound) but it doesn't sound like a squeak - more like a high pitch electronic sound. I don't know what they're talking about.

Good camera! Someone gave me the one I have many years ago (free) with a 28mm-100mm zoom lens that I never heard of. FOTOMAT SERIES 35 MC AUTO ZOOM F/3.5-5.5 (& Macro). I like it.
    "Pictures are not incidental frills to a text; they are essences of our distinctive way of knowing." Stephen J. Gould

Shooter
    35mm
    Basically it is the gearing of the mirror when it goes up and down before and after the shutter firing. The original lube drys out and gives the awful squeel and slow mirror movement and delayed shutter release. The more I read about it and listen this the problem I have.

Now the issue is pony of the cash and get it fixed right, or delve in myself. I think the answer to this will come with the quality of the AE-1 that I am obtaining next week....

MolBasser

Shooter
    35mm
    Yeah, releasing the shutter in B timed mode confirms the sound is when the mirror goes up and down.

MolBasser

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Yes, it sounds more like a "squeal" that changes pitch (as the mirror moves up at all shutter speeds). I just now watched the action w/o lens attached. Maybe you hear something louder than I'm hearing, it never bothered me, or I never noticed it as an annoying sound. I never thought it was a defect - it always makes correct exposures. My older Minolta SRT 102 made a mirror action sound that was equally loud, but different. My RB mirror makes a loud thump so, for me, mechanical noises are normal sounds.

I'd be interested to hear if you eliminate the sound, somehow. Like I said, it never bothers me, though.

Range finder type cameras make no sound (almost), as you probably know. No mirror!
    "Pictures are not incidental frills to a text; they are essences of our distinctive way of knowing." Stephen J. Gould

Shooter
    35mm
    I've owned one of these cameras way back in the 80s. The sound isn't natural. I'll get rid of it.

MolBasser

Shooter
    35mm
    Well I've only the AV1 and it's quiet, so never heard the dreaded shutter squeal with the A models, is this it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuMaO7FfpVg

Shooter
    35mm
    Yep, that's it.

MolBasser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The cause is #4 the mirror governor gear train. It's on the right side of the mirror box on the wind side of the camera.
    Here's the short cut.
    Remove the top cover,
    remove the cover around the lens mount,
    ****You need a pinpoint oiler & something like watch oil*****No WD-40 or sprays*****
    remove the screw at the top left from the lens mount. This screw allows access between the mirror box and the side plate of the governor.
    Holding the camera with the wind side down, insert the oiler into the screw hole & apply a very small drop of oil then work the camera. The squeak should be eliminated once the oil is distributed. It may take an additional application of oil if you still have the squeak.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin