Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,283   Posts: 1,534,959   Online: 953

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    I would recommend the 85mm f1.8 AIs Nikkor, it's a killer portrait lens.
    Another vote for the 85mm f/2 or f/1.8 from me.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have an AF 85/1.8 and an AI 105/2.5, and while I love them both, I find the 105 to be the more indispensible.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I like the little extra room you get with the 105mm

Mike

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Ai-S Nikkor 85/1.8 doesn't exist.

first one for SLR was Nikkor-H Auto 85mm f/1.8 (symmetrical 6/6 element, subsequently updated to C coated version) - great lens
    next was non-Ai Nikkor 85mm f/1.8 (symmetrical 6/4 element, rubber focussing ring, can be found as Ai converted) - great lens too
    short run of Ai Nikkor 85mm f/1.8 was made too, with the same optical formula.
    then it was updated to Ai-Nikkor 85 mm f/2.0 (5/5 element optics) - rather mediocre performer compared to the older 85's
    last update was Ai-S 85mm f/2.0, still 5/5 element optics

current AF-Nikkor 85mm f/1.8 D is a lot better lens than ais 85/2.0, probably on par with original 85/1.8's

however my favorite lens for portraiture is 35mm f/1.4 nikkor
    Last edited by Lukas_87; 12-26-2009 at 09:45 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: mistyping & my horrible english

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukas_87 View Post
    ...current AF-Nikkor 85mm f/1.8 D is a lot better lens than ais 85/2.0...
    Those are the two I have. The AIS is very forgiving with model work. I like it and the models do too.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukas_87 View Post
    ...however my favorite lens for portraiture is 35mm f/1.4 nikkor...
    I don't think my models would appreciate the large noses.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use both the 85/1.4 ai-s and the 105/2.5 ai-s, both are awesome, but the 85 is my favorite.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I use an 85mm f1.4 Zeiss lens.

I get far enough away from my clients for various reasons one which is to allow enough room on the negative/file to be able to crop when printing on different sizes of paper.
    Bill Clark

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    A cheap 135/2.8 from any of the manufacturers in AI fit will give good results at eight feet - 135mm. just happens to be easier to correct for aberrations than most focal lengths.

The reason I offer such an outlandish suggestion is this: with practice one more quickly develops an easy rapport with a new subject and eight feet becomes too far.

Spend too much on this lens and the cost of the 85 that you will eventually want is harder to justify, innit?

My 2 cents, FWIW.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I own both Nikkor AIs 85/1.4 and Nikkor Ais 105/2.5. Both are excellent performers.
    Ciao.
    Vincenzo

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The 105 1.8 is excellent, as is the 2.5 version, and the prices are great too, especially on the 2.5. The images look basically interchangeable at 2.8. I also love the superb 85 1.4, and the DC lenses, but have been very unsatisfied with the 85mm 1.8. Perhaps this is a problem with the AF version, but the blurry backgrounds are pretty rough wide open. Lines never get blurry at all. The edges just get farther apart. If you want that dreamy background blur, the 85 1.8AF is about as bad as it gets without becoming a "special effect." Perhaps the Ai versions are different as so many people are recommending them.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin