Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,205   Posts: 1,531,759   Online: 930

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Rol_Lei Nut View Post
    "Nothing"?

Wow, that is an example of absolute faith in one's convictions, not to mention of universal knowledge!

I could come up with a list of a dozen or so lenses which will clearly outperform the Nikkor 105 (not having used the Kiron), but most won't fit a Nikon...

So maybe it's just the gospel truth in my mind. However, both of them produce SUPERB results. Kiron lenses are easy to find in Nikon mount. I have an entire herd of Vivitar Series 1 and Kiron's in Nikon mount.

Kiron Kid

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by cooltouch View Post
    Lee's and PhotoJim's accounts of Kiron agree pretty much with my experiences and recollections. Kiron was a popular brand in the US back in the early to mid-80s. Plus, as was mentioned, Kiron also built lenses for others, most notably Vivitar. Any Vivitar lens made from the late 1970s to the early 1990s that has a serial number beginning with 22 is made by Kiron.

Kiron most definitely built zooms, however. Their 70-210s were not varifocal lenses, while their wide-to-short-tele lenses (e.g., 28-85s) were.

Kiron has made a few stand-out optics that have achieved legendary status. They include the 24mm f/2 and the 105mm f/2.8 macro, the latter which probably would make an outstanding portrait lens, especially if you felt it necessary to count the pores on your subject's face.
    Kiron (Kino Precision Industries) also made quite a few of the Nikon Series "E" lenses for Nikon. That includes the legendary Nikon E 75-150 f/3.5 lens. However, the Kiron 70-150 is every bit as sharp, but MUCH smaller and more compact. It also doesn't develop the horrendous zoom creep that the Nikon version is known for. As for the Kiron 105 f/2.5 macro, it's awesome! Goes 1:1 life size, built VERY well and VERY sharp. When I use on of mine for portrait work, I always slap a Black Softnet filter on it for some added diffusion. I have a fedw Nikon buddies that prefer it over the Nikon 105 macro lens. Just about all of the lenses mentioned in this thread will give them wonderful portrait results.

Kiron 70-150

Kiron 105 (Lester Dine versions) macro's.

Kiron Kid

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiron Kid View Post
    So maybe it's just the gospel truth in my mind. However, both of them produce SUPERB results.
    I agree that the Nikkor 105 f/2.5 will produce superb results, but that isn't the same as "Nothing else will perform as well"...

Without getting into brand wars (or *issing contests), I can just say that my 105 Nikkor, however lovely its imagery is, is collecting dust because I have several lenses in the 80-85-90-100 FL range which do perform better.*
    (*That itself is a too much of a blanket statement, but I'll define it as ""better in at least one parameter and at least as good in the rest"...)
    Last edited by Rol_Lei Nut; 01-02-2010 at 12:18 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiron Kid View Post
    So maybe it's just the gospel truth in my mind. However, both of them produce SUPERB results. Kiron lenses are easy to find in Nikon mount. I have an entire herd of Vivitar Series 1 and Kiron's in Nikon mount.

Kiron Kid
    Can you post a picture that you took with each of these lenses?
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'll agree with Kiron about the Series 75-150 zoomer. Used it for years in a newspaper environment and it never needed NPS at all. Don't use it much anymore as the 70-200VR is more useful.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    just to update an old thread with pix of two of the 85 1.8 Nikkor lenses discussed here...The AI'd "K" on the left and the "H"

The "H" is the classic earlier version used by many a PJ for low light sports (like me), as well as for portraits...
    The "H "was the lens on the Nikon F used by the David Hemmings' photographer/character in park scenes in the movie 1960s movie"Blow-Up"

.....note that the AI aperture ring with hollowed prong is factory OEM...note too that the rear mount has the standard pre-AI baffle...with no AI post at the mount opposite the prong....

For what it's worth...the "K" is about 1/3 F-stop brighter...due to the multi-coating?

The 3 holes drilled in the "H" focusing barrel were for a stalk/stem for "pulling" focus during a video tracking shot

click to go to the pic...then click the pic to enlarge
    Last edited by kitanikon; 05-15-2011 at 11:17 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin