Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,705   Posts: 1,482,802   Online: 1077

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    E76
    Shooter
    Instant Films
    Images

OM-4 Battery Trouble

I recently acquired an Olympus OM-4 and even with a fresh set of batteries power is only being supplied to the camera intermittently. Taking out the batteries and reinserting them sometimes solved the problem for a little while, but as soon as the camera was bumped or jarred the problem returned. At first I thought it might be a loose connection, but simply pressing on the battery compartment cover solves the problem every time and the little wire attached to the negative terminal spring looks to still be soldered on properly. Any ideas as to how to solve this problem or what may be going on? Should I simply return it to the seller?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Try cleaning the battery connections.
    Also, use the SR44 silver oxide batteries instead of the LR44 alkalines.
    This is a known problem that the OM4 has issues with the LR44s.
    To my knowlege, it just drains them, but its worth a try.

E76
    Shooter
    Instant Films
    Images
    I am using SR44 batteries and the contacts are clean.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Make sure that the base plate is tight - especially the screws near the the tripod mount. Don't over-tighten them, but they should all be snug. If the battery cap is black, you may have paint in the threads which can cause problems as well. Most people have swapped them fro chrome ones, but just cleaning out the threads on the cap & body can help as well.
    Jim Couch
    www.spokeandsprocket.com
    Tacoma, WA USA

Shooter
    35mm
    Exactly as Jim said. Olympus discovered black painted battery caps were causing electrical problems. So, very early on in OM-4 history, installing a plain chrome battery cap became part of every 4 overhaul. Make sure bottom cover screws are tight (and no, small hole in front edge is not from a missing screw). Use silver oxide batteries only. John

E76
    Shooter
    Instant Films
    Images
    After trying everything suggested I finally broke down and installed another new set of batteries which solved the problem. I guess the old ones must have been defective.

Thanks for all the help, guys!

Shooter
    35mm
    Absolutely no affiliation, but if you are tired of buying 357 size lithium batteries for $3+ a piece, check out this website:

sr44.com

I ordered 25 Energizer brand 357 batteries, in a nice little tray, for $25 with shipping. Now I have lots of spares and don't have to spend $8 at the drugstore for 3 of them (what am I going to do with 3?).

I hate how my OM2n requires batteries to function. I have had it die on my when the batteries go and it's very disheartening that there's not even 1 manual speed like my pentaxen have. I try to replace the batteries at least every few months. I thought maybe there would be enough spare room in the film compartment that I could tape a couple spare batteries in there somewhere, but I don't think there is.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    35mm
    I suggest NOT using sr44 dot com. Last time I ordered batteries from them, I NEVER got them and they did not answer repeated emails I sent regarding the order. I was not charged but still horrible service. I've heard the same story from several people. I would buy 357 / G13 / SR44-W / MS76 / KS76 type from anywhere else but them. John

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by JimCouch View Post
    .............. Most people have swapped them fro chrome ones, but just cleaning out the threads on the cap & body can help as well.
    Does anyone know where someone may find a chrome cap, or any replacement for that matter for an OM4?
    Mine managed to fly away

Shooter
    35mm
    I sell new OM-4 unpainted battery caps. Click on my name to find a link to my website. John

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin