Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,008   Posts: 1,524,606   Online: 1039

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

to Canon F1 new users

Hi friends,

it's the camera I love more than any other. But, any time I develop a FP4 film, comparing it with a FP4 for which I used a Nikon F100 or F6, in this last I note a higher definition and a sharper negative. Of course, in the same condition of light and subject. With any Nikon lens but AFD 24 mm.
    Did you note?
    J.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not that I'm especially a Canon fan, but comparisons should really be made lens by lens in similar conditions...

Could it possibly be that the rolls were taken in different light situations or developed differently?
    Or that you used a zoom with the Canon and one of the better primes with the Nikons?
    While it *is* possible that *all* your Nikon lenses (except the 24mm) are better, it seems unlikely that the difference would be so visible. Which lenses are you using?

P.S. There might even be some problem with your F1, such as not exposing properly or the film registration being off, etc.
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks, Rol Lei Nut.
    Comparison of course has been made with Canon FD 50/1,4 and Nikon AFD 50/1,4, Canon FD 20/2,8 and Nikon AFD 20/2,8 and so on.
    Differences are, for ex., less visible with 20mm but film appears better with Nikon lenses yet. Higher definition, sharper negative....
    My Canon lenses are of about 20 years ago. Peraphs this means something, I think.
    I note you do not use Canon F1!
    J.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pluto View Post
    My Canon lenses are of about 20 years ago. Peraphs this means something, I think.
    I note you do not use Canon F1!
    J.
    There are *lots* of 20+ year old lenses out there that are still first rate. That shouldn't be a problem.

If everything is working properly, I'd be surprised to find obvious differences between the two 50mm lenses.

And, no, I do not use a Canon F1 (though not all I use/have used is on the list by far!).
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I use a New F-1, and I think there is just not enough information to diagnose what you're seeing. You would need to do side-by-side tests with a tripod, similar lenses, processing the film together, both cameras recently serviced, etc. to rule out other issues. There isn't much reason that the camera body would make a very significant difference. Nikon lenses often have more contrast than Canon FD lenses by design, so that could be a factor. You might decide you like Nikon for B&W, Canon for color.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've many Canons and Nikons, hundreds of lenses. I've made pretty rigorous comparisons of Cannon 50mm f/1.4 against Nikkor 55mm f/1.2 and Nikkor 50mm f/1.4. I'm happy with both. I think is a matter of taste and choosing your circumstances well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have used (and still do) both systems extensively, and can say that the difference in quality is very hard to pick. There are some Nikkors that I prefer, and some Canon lenses that I would rather use in different situations. Side by side, the 50mm 1.4's from both manufacturers look the same to me, I use the 50mm 1.2L from Canon, which is a better lens than the 1.2 from Nikon (excluding the Noct Nikkor) and the 85mm 1.4 and 105mm 2.5 from Nikon are great.
    When I want extreme shallow DOF I use Canon's 135mm F2, and 85mm 1.2L, really no comparable lens from Nikon.
    I do mostly use my F1 for day to day stuff, mainly because I just like the range of lenses that I have for it, rather than any great difference in lens quality.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Why not get a Tamron SP lens, like maybe the 90mm f2.5, and a couple of adaptall mounts. That might answer the question. Bill Barber

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    Nikon lenses often have more contrast than Canon FD lenses by design, so that could be a factor. You might decide you like Nikon for B&W, Canon for color.
    So you agree that Nikon lenses have usually more contrast compared with Canon FD?!
    No, David. I use B/W film only.
    J.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    There's some variation, but I think there's been a long consensus that Canon designs for a little less contrast. More contrast isn't necessarily better, but is suited to different requirements. For color slide films, a less contrasty lens can give you a bit more shadow detail in harder light.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin