Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,719   Posts: 1,483,116   Online: 1111

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Goutiere View Post
    It was only +23F (-5C) today. The wife and I went for a little hike up a nice rocky canyon we have nearby. I took my Nikon F3HP. In the warmth of the house the battery looked fine but just the little bit of cold brought the battery down below a threshold and the F3 was dead as a hammer. Of course I hadn't the common sense to bring another battery. (Yes I know it works at a 90 sec. without a battery)

I'm more and more inclined to take my F2 nowadays when I want reliability, battery independence and a good solid working camera. Continually depending on batteries is becoming an irritant. Even the Wife's Canon G10 was showing it needed a recharge. So I have another idea.

Forget the F3, forget the Fe-2. Get a nice F2, or FM2 and find a good hand held light meter just in case.
    Paul

I'd never part with my all manual FM. But, in all of my years of moutaineering, I've found the FE and FE-2 to work very well in sub-freezing weather if they have lithium batteries in them. Lithiums are all that I use for my Nikon bodies. They last very long and are impervious to the extreme cold.

Kiron Kid

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiron Kid View Post
    Paul

I'd never part with my all manual FM. But, in all of my years of moutaineering, I've found the FE and FE-2 to work very well in sub-freezing weather if they have lithium batteries in them. Lithiums are all that I use for my Nikon bodies. They last very long and are impervious to the extreme cold.

Kiron Kid
    You are quite correct, and My F3 will as well. But not today !&*%%$!

Shooter
    35mm
    I would choose the FE2 because of the 1/250th flash sync speed. I use fill flash quite frequently.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The FE2 is lighter, has faster flash sync speed, has faster top speed, and has easier to see metering readout.

The F3 has a silky smooth film advance and a sweet sounding shutter.
    Art should unsettle the comfortable, and comfort the unsettled.

My photo website: http://frankfoto.jimdo.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Back when I owned an F3HP, I also owned my current F2. I too was not all that fond of the F3's meter readout -- which is one reason why I'm so tempted to get an FE2 cuz I'm a big fan of match needle metering -- but what I came to really like about the F3 was its performance in aperture-priority auto. Having that 80/20 metering pattern worked very well when shooting slides, with their narrow exposure latitude. So I ended up almost always using the F3 in auto mode, and relying on my F2's meter for manual exposure. Looking through my archives, I can see that many of my best slides were taken with the F3 in auto mode. This is my main reason for leaning toward the F3. My main reason for leaning toward the FE2 is because of its match-needle metering method. The fact that it has an auto mode, 1/250 flash sync, and a 1/4000 top shutter speed are big pluses for sure.

John, I like your suggestion. I've never bought a BGN item from KEH, but from what I've repeatedly read, they're very conservative in their ratings and that BGN items are still pretty decent. So this would allow me to pick up the pair and thus dilemma solved.

Shooter
    35mm
    The FE & FE-2 work beautifully in aperture priority mode. And we've already discussed the flash advantages it has over the F3. Go for the FE-2. Awesome rig.

Kiron Kid

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiron Kid View Post
    I often need flash or fill-flash capabilities outdoors, and I would be severly handicapped without the 1/250'th flash sync on the FE-2. The F3's flash capabilities would kill me.
    I wonder what photographers did before the higher speeds were available on SLR's, shoot with between lens cameras like a TLR? I ask this just for educational purposes, not to find fault with your need of the higher speed.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Goutiere View Post
    It was only +23F (-5C) today. The wife and I went for a little hike up a nice rocky canyon we have nearby. I took my Nikon F3HP. In the warmth of the house the battery looked fine but just the little bit of cold brought the battery down below a threshold and the F3 was dead as a hammer. Of course I hadn't the common sense to bring another battery. (Yes I know it works at a 90 sec. without a battery)

I'm more and more inclined to take my F2 nowadays when I want reliability, battery independence and a good solid working camera. Continually depending on batteries is becoming an irritant. Even the Wife's Canon G10 was showing it needed a recharge. So I have another idea.

Forget the F3, forget the Fe-2. Get a nice F2, or FM2 and find a good hand held light meter just in case.
    Since I use a hand held meter most of the time, and not fond of depending on a battery just to make the shutter work, find myself leaning back to the time when the cameras had mechanical shutters, ala F2, M2, TLR, etc.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welp, as I've mentioned before, I already own an F2 and it isn't going anywhere. I also own a Canon F-1 (the old mechanical one) and a Pentax KX, which is also mechanical, so I have my mechanical 35mm bases fairly well covered. And if I were to be heading into the hinterlands on a cold day I would be much more inclined to take one of these cameras than a battery dependent one. But there are occasions when I'd just as soon not have to fiddle around with exposure, and that's where cameras like the F3 and FE2 become attractive.

Shooter
    35mm
    You posted this 9 days ago! surely you've made your mind up by now??

?

?

Get a FM3a!!!!!!

Nikon user

"Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing" Optimus Prime

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin