Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,573   Posts: 1,545,665   Online: 905

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by sbattert View Post
    I think the duration of the old flashes were much longer, so it didn't matter as much. You didn't have to synchronize the shutter being open all the way with the burst of flash. The flash lasted much longer than the shutter speed.
    At lower power level modern flashes can have very short duration but at full power I think the trend is to make the duration longer rather than shorter. Typical full power flash duration of the 70's is around 1/1000 while new flashes is around 1/300 or so. I think that's because old flashes used higher voltage and less capacitance while new flashes use lower voltage and higher capacitance.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by sbattert View Post
    I think the duration of the old flashes were much longer, so it didn't matter as much. You didn't have to synchronize the shutter being open all the way with the burst of flash. The flash lasted much longer than the shutter speed.
    AFAIK, electronic flash has always been faster than most, if not all shutters.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fotch View Post
    AFAIK, electronic flash has always been faster than most, if not all shutters.
    This is correct only for compact, camera mounted flashes. Large, studio-strobes may be cutoff by fast leaf-shutters which can be compensated for by a larger aperture or longer exposure.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images
    First of all: invest in glass, not black boxes ....

I still have my Nikon EL2 and it works like a charm. Back to your original question: I would go for a nice F3.
    Although, I would also consider the F4s. I love this camera, the way it lays in my hand, it's heavy (for me a plus)
    and I just like the looks. I also have a F5 which I love also, but if I had to choose, I would take the F4s.
    Both the F4s and F5 can be get cheap nowadays....

And remember Ansel Adams:
    " ... avoid the common illusion that creativity depends on equipment alone ... "
    (quote from his book: The Camera)
    "Have fun and catch that light beam!"
    Bert from Holland
    my blog: http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl
    my Linkedin pinhole group: http://tinyurl.com/pinholegroup

* I'm an analogue enthusiast, trying not to fall into the digital abyss.
    * My favorite cameras: Hasselblad SWC, Leica SL, Leica M7, Russian FKD 18x24, Bronica SQ-B and RF645, Rolleiflex T2, Nikon F4s, Agfa Clack and my pinhole cameras

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin