Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,498   Posts: 1,543,112   Online: 1041

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LTM SLR

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The film-to-flange distance of 35mm rangefinders is in the range of 28mm, that of SLR's in the range of 40 to 46 mm.

So how would that work even with mirror-up? What did I get wrong?

(Edit: There are 35mm-rangefinder lenses designed for the use with an intermediate mirror-box. These should work with some adaper on a 35mm-SLR. But this is beyond the orginal question.)
    Last edited by AgX; 01-20-2010 at 06:39 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: correcting for 4omm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There is one LTM lens I know of which you can (almost for sure) use mounted on an SLR: the Russian Industar-50 in rigid mount. They used the same basic lens for both the SLRs and rangefinders, but they put an extension ring to the end of the shorter SLR lens to make it focus at infinity on rangefinder bodies. It cam be done, because the rear element of a Tessar is pretty far from the filmplane.

Of course, this is not a real answer how to mount your Leitz and Canon lenses on an SLR.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Not possible. Not going to work. Not now. Not ever. Especially with wide angle lenses in which the lens sits a fraction of an inch from the shutter.

There's no advantage to fitting a lens to an SLR if you can't focus. Leave it on the LTM body, which is thinner and quieter and allows you to focus.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Anything is possible - almost. The Alpa had the shortest film to flange spec. but still was more that the 28mm distance from film to flange. (The Periflex excepted.)
    I have often thought that a horizontal sliding mirror would be the path to a solution. Someone surely has thought of that before and discarded it.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There were different full-size moving-mirror designs including ones that enabled the lens to protrude more than with a classic SLR.

But I don't know of any common moving- (full-size) mirror SLR that has a flange-to-film distance significantly less than I stated in my post above.

But aside from how the mirror is moved, or even folded as in one design, the mere fact that there is a mirror makes a certain space necessary.
    Last edited by AgX; 01-20-2010 at 06:50 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    The film-to-flange distance of 35mm rangefinders is in the range of 28mm, that of SLR's in the range of 40 to 46 mm.

So how would that work even with mirror-up? What did I get wrong?
    An adapter which "sinks" into the SLR mount, reducing the film to flange distance (the reason why narrow mounts certainly would not work).
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks,

Meanwhile I got that idea too. But I wonder which rangefinder lenses are small enough to allow for such sink-in adapter.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The very first soviet SLR Zenith was built with M39 screw mount, incompatible with the standard LTM lenses. Apart this, normally the LTM lenses, on SLR cameras, allow only the macro work.
    Ciao.
    Vincenzo

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin