Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,761   Posts: 1,516,087   Online: 945

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Fisheye Viewfinder: what options?

I mounted a Nikkor 16mm fisheye onto a Leica via an adaptor:

Yeah, I know, crazy. But I like to play and photography is nothing if it's not fun.

I'm wondering if I can complete this contraption with a viewfinder. I found this on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Seems very low-tech, possibly featuring a 'lens' from a door viewer.

So, this is to ask, is there, or was there, ever a viewfinder for fisheyes?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Is the flange to film distance short enough? Did you check it with ground glass or paper at the film plane?

VF for fisheye? What for, just in case your 180 degree FOV somehow misses your subject?

I do salute your experimentalism!
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It's cheap so why not try it? It must be more representative than the camera's viewfinder.

I might get one of these myself. I recently made my own viewfinder for my wide angle panoramic camera using some old lens elements. I needed one with a 90 degree viewing angle which is similar to 21mm on 35mm format. One of these suitably masked could work too.

Steve.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    Is the flange to film distance short enough? Did you check it with ground glass or paper at the film plane?
    I need to shoot a roll to be 100% as everything can appear in focus with this lens, but it seemed fine when I placed paper on the film plane.

I'd like a VF, firstly just to complete the thing, but also because I bring the camera up to my eye and need something to look into that's a bit wider than the Leica VF.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    It's cheap so why not try it? It must be more representative than the camera's viewfinder.
    I probably will, this thread was really just to check I hadn't missed out any other options.

P.S. how do I attach a signature to my posts? I'd like to place my name below what I write.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Click on 'My APUG' at the top then in the list down the left side you should find 'Edit Signature'.

Steve.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks.
    Steve.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I've seen a few posts... can't remember where... in which the poster modified a 180 degree door peep lens and masked it with black tape. I don't remember how they attached it to the camera... maybe by gluing it to a cheap hot shoe adapter?

Shooter
    35mm
    The viewfinder arrived from China, it took a few weeks. It's all plastic, surprisingly bright looking through it and seems fairly well made. The image is circular, so I'll have to mask it. The finder is actually so wide that I can see the entire length of the lens when I look through it.

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It looks somewhat like the finder from the Nikon 7.7mm lens that I have. Of course, it does take circular pictures. The Nikon finder is all metal and glass and is very high quality. I also have the lens you have. While they are both fish eyes, huge difference in the photos they take. Good Luck.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin