Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,267   Posts: 1,660,639   Online: 795

View Poll Results: Black or Chrome?

Voters
158. You may not vote on this poll
  • BLACK

100 63.29%
  • CHROME

58 36.71%
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I really like those gold painted Holga cameras from Lomo. Yeah, that one. If only all cameras could be golden.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Once you go black, you'll never go chrome again. Actually, some cameras were never made in black. And some never had a chrome counterpart.

Although black cameras are handsome, I wouldn't never let it stop me from using a chrome camera.

And I would never use those ghastly green, bright blue and other neon shades of the Pentax digital. (In reality, they're sort of cool, but not my thing.)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Black? Chrome? Wood!
    Michael

"I only wanted Uncle Vern standing by his new car (a Hudson) on a clear day. I got him and the car. I also got a bit of Aunt Mary's laundry, and Beau Jack, the dog, peeing on a fence, and a row of potted tuberous begonias on the porch and 78 trees and a million pebbles in the driveway and more. It's a generous medium, photography." -- Lee Friedlander

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikon Collector View Post
    I've always prefoerred the black, though I own both. My favorite is a Black Nikkormat EL. There must be a reason that starting with the F3 I think all "pro" Nikons are black.
    Think again, the Nikon F,F2, and Nikkormat came in chrome too, in the UK black Nikon bodys cost £10 more.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I did not vote because I have both, I use both, and I love both.

When I worry about wear and tear effecting the appearance of the camera, I prefer a chrome body.
    When I am shooting candids and need to be inconspicuous, I prefer a black camera body.
    When I am shooting a subject through glass and worry about the camera's reflection appearing in the glass, I prefer a black body.

The best black body 35mm I ever owned was the Nikon F2 Titanium.

The best chrome body 35mm I ever owned (and still own) is the Nikon F2 with the DE-1 standard non-metered prism finder.

One black body 35mm I always wish I owned was the Leica MP.

One 35mm chrome body that I always thought was attractive was the Olympus OM-1.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by narsuitus View Post
    I did not vote because I have both, I use both, and I love both.

When I worry about wear and tear effecting the appearance of the camera, I prefer a chrome body.
    When I am shooting candids and need to be inconspicuous, I prefer a black camera body.
    When I am shooting a subject through glass and worry about the camera's reflection appearing in the glass, I prefer a black body.

One black body 35mm I always wish I owned was the Leica MP.

One 35mm chrome body that I always thought was attractive was the Olympus OM-1.
    I agree with that.

Chrome is a tough finish and doesn't get that typical brassing as black finished cameras, my OM has a few scratches that I bet would be rather visible on black. If I'm not wrong, chrome was the pro color back in the 30s. Black was the cheap thing.
    Nowadays Black is a little bit boring, but black cameras look nifty.

I just like both, depends of what I can get.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I do love gold. And black or gold shark skin. I think worst black cameras comes from Japan today. They mold them from high pressure injected polyurethane and they are dull. Than they apply a shiny thin layer of second polyurethane and it looses its look with time and sunlight and hand contact. Than it turns a ugly garbage bag. Todays digital cameras are all made from cheap car interior materials and they are so so ugly and discusting. I dont like metal finish of later 70s cameras also. They are too much shiny this time.
    I think best black or chrome black cameras are plus 60 years old Leicas.
    Hasselblads are not chrome but indium and this is different and good

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would love to have a black Leica M2, but since they are scarcer than chicken lips, I will have to be satisfied with my chrome model.
    Michael Cienfuegos

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    OD green.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ooh! Shiny...

Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin