Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,770   Posts: 1,484,239   Online: 1104

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a III and love it. Owned since new, I though I would try some underwater (never did) and use when it rains. However, not much for going out in the rain either, I have used as a everyday camera. The slowness of loading and unloading usually translate into using it every few years.

Love it, will keep forever, and try using it more.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ragc View Post
    So... I am curious: does anyone else use an old Nikonos for general photography?
    I use a Nikonos III with a 35mm lens and a 80mm lens when I am shooting in a hostile environment. However, I do not use it for general photography and I have never used it for underwater photography.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I love my Nikonos V, which I got in a partial trade for a guitar I never used. The guitar was worth maybe $500 tops, and I got the Nikonos and 35mm lens, never used from the original owner, and $300 cash for it. The thing was literally new, sans box. I take it out shooting in the rain, sometimes hiking for shooting in water in the mountains, and, of course, in pools. They are built like a brick shithouse, for sure. Probably the most solidly built camera I have ever held. I really want to get some underwater flashes for it to expand the possibilities...
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Erik, I am not sure if APUG's policies will allow me to mention specific merchants. A well-known used camera dealer from Atlanta, Georgia, US, had two 'bargain grade' Nikonos IIs for less than $50.00. They are sold out of IIs now ( I bought both), but may have some again soon. A giant auction website, very well known, has had them on occasion for similar amounts. I just received a "parts" body with the 35mm Nikkor from an auction there. It cost me $38.00 US because the seller described it as an "as is" sale and no one bid. There is nothing other than some paint scratches wrong with it, in fact, it has a crystal clear viewfinder. The seller just didn't know you remove the lens before being able to open it, and apparently could not open it... it had an exposed roll inside! Yes, a lot of sellers do offer them for $150.00. None of the ones I have bought have been that expensive!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ragc View Post
    Erik, I am not sure if APUG's policies will allow me to mention specific merchants. A well-known used camera dealer from Atlanta, Georgia, US, had two 'bargain grade' Nikonos IIs for less than $50.00. They are sold out of IIs now ( I bought both), but may have some again soon. A giant auction website, very well known, has had them on occasion for similar amounts. I just received a "parts" body with the 35mm Nikkor from an auction there. It cost me $38.00 US because the seller described it as an "as is" sale and no one bid. There is nothing other than some paint scratches wrong with it, in fact, it has a crystal clear viewfinder. The seller just didn't know you remove the lens before being able to open it, and apparently could not open it... it had an exposed roll inside! Yes, a lot of sellers do offer them for $150.00. None of the ones I have bought have been that expensive!
    Thank you for these tips! I rarely visit auction sites based in other countries, as shipping would be rather expensive, but you are right, Nikonos's can be found for the prices you mentioned. Thanks again!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Nice to know they are inexpensive now. I wanted one in the 80s but they cost too much (for a non-scuba diver )
    I'm reviving this thread because I just got a Nikonos V with 28mm underwater lens. I hope to post some needed info about it on this thread.

First off is a focus scale compensation for above water shooting with the UW 28mm. I'll have to fine tune these results but it looks like infinity focus is around 3-5 feet on the focus indicator.

Second thing needed is a list of the location and size of all the o-rings. The service manual does not give the sizes, and it does not even group the o-rings together. Here is a picture of the collection of 19 o-rings:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	3.9 KB 
ID:	60041

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The only reason I havn't bought one if the $250 servicing fee required every couple of years to change the O'Rings. If someone could work out how hard it is to do yourself, I'd get one in a snap.

Daniel.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Very easy, you only need the o-rings and a bit of grease, which comes with the rings kit
    Luis Miguel Castañeda Navas
    http://imaginarymagnitude.net/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nikonos IVa - still have it but haven't used it much lately. Most the the underwater Ektachromes were with strobe. Only the 35mm lens works for above and below water shots. Reminder that due to refraction, everything underwater is enlarged about a third. So the 35mm lens acts like a 50mm underwater.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/alankle...7627032961729/ Bimini

http://www.flickr.com/photos/alankle...7625526207614/ Key Largo and Ft. Lauderdale, Florida

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Muihlinn View Post
    Very easy, you only need the o-rings and a bit of grease, which comes with the rings kit
    I don't think the complete ring set comes as a kit. The only kits I see contain only 4 o-rings. I think they all need to be ordered individually (I have an email into Nikon to see what they have). Some rings, like the ones around the viewfinder and the frame counter look somewhat challenging to change and I'll probably leave those alone. That still leaves about 15 to measure, source and replace.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin