Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,456   Posts: 1,570,572   Online: 849

Shooter
    35mm

Ricoh GR1 family - manufacture dates?

A friend's father has a Ricoh GR1s which he hasn't used in an age ("I've gone digital..."). I'm wondering if I can persuade him to sell it. But I'm wondering how old are these cameras now? I know the order was GR1, GR1s, GR1v, but can anyone let me know the dates when each was in production?
    Steve.

Shooter
    35mm
    Well, he let me borrow it for a play. It doesn't look like it's had much use at all (typical for him), I found an online manual and shot a quick roll in my back garden. This is a nice P&S! I especially like the 'snap' mode that locks the focus as it has no shutter lag.
    Steve.

Shooter
    35mm
    I think the original GR1 was released around 1995/96. I don't know the dates for the models that followed, but generally speaking most compacts were replaced within a couple of years. I expect the GR1s would probably date from around 1998/99 - but that would be a guess.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks, Carl. I've been playing with it for a couple of weeks now and it's quite a nice camera.
    Steve.

Shooter
    35mm
    I do remember the GR1 being quite an expensive camera when it came out, and recall reading some very good reviews about it. The lens in particular is excellent. Just a shame they're no longer made - as a 35mm camera that is.

Shooter
    35mm
    This one belongs to a friend's father - he always bought expensive compacts; Ricoh GR1*, Contax T2, etc, and then rarely gave them the use they were designed for.

This Ricoh was bought for a planned trip to Iran. He had secured some funding to write an article on Iranian birdlife for a UK nature magazine. The plan was he'd take his son (my friend) with him as the photographer and he'd snap away contextual stuff with the Ricoh. The Iranian Ministry of Culture were keen and wanted to supply a guide and car. The invite was extended to me and I was to be an assistant or something. Unfortunately it never happened, Easter was the best time to photograph the birds before the summer heat got going, but I had university clashes and it all fell apart. We tried again a few years later, but post 9/11, and especially post Iraq invasion, changed the nature of UK-Iran relationships. So, the Ricoh got only light use.
    Steve.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for sharing that Steve. It's a pity you couldn't go as it would have been quite a trip. I suppose it is unthinkable in today's climate - a pity.

You mention the Contax T2 as well. Again another lovely camera. Contax's in general always had an outstanding reputation for quality, and their SLR's were silky smooth and a joy to use.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I have a GR1. It's a nice camera and really small. I find I'm happier though when I have a larger camera with me. The Ricoh is a little too automatic. But, it's better than no camera, which is why I got - for a really small camera when I didn't feel like lugging my RF around.

Shooter
    35mm
    The Ricoh has taken the place of the Olympus Mju II for the last few weeks. And although it is more automatic than my RF or SLR, it gives more control than the Oly. I like the way it shows the focus point at three ranges in the viewfinder and the exposure compensation and aperture priority are nice features. I wasn't expecting it to be quite so loud, mind.
    Last edited by perkeleellinen; 02-10-2010 at 01:14 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: spelling
    Steve.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin