Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,922   Posts: 1,556,621   Online: 1290

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Minolta XD7 (XD11) and mirror lenses

So I own a Minolta XD7 (XD11 for American users) and few months ago I had the opportunity to by a Sigma 400mm f8 mirror lens in MD mount but how do you use this correctly on a XD7?? There is no diaphragm in this lens thus no extra lug to let the camera know there is one. So i'm guessing the camera just measuring the incoming light and does not take any account of the missing diaphragm? Do I have to use Automode, Aperture Priority Mode or Manual Mode?

I dry fired it on a XG2 and installed a 35mm lens who gave me 1/60 sec on f8 and so did the 400mm when it looked trough it so the XG2 just measures the incoming light I guess but what about the XD7?

I bought this lens new in box for about 10 euro from a sale-out of a photo shop so it's a great deal anyhow.
    Sure, I could give you a boring explanation who I really am but I rather let the Origami do the talking.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Catadioptric lenses, such as the one you have acquired, are fixed aperture lenses. The internal reflectors take all of the space, thus rendering no room for an aperture assembly. And, yes, most cat lenses are f/8.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In general:
    Using a mirror lens on a TTL-metering camera would need to use the camera in aperture-stepped-down modus, if you want to meter by means of the camera.
    This tells the camera that the current aperture is the one used for the exposure, the same time disengaging any aperture control if available at that camera.

Depending on the camera one then could employ manual metering, or even auto-exposure which would control shutter speed.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Posted wirelessly..

And some cat lenses extended far enough into the body to block the viewing mirror's travel. Mirror lockup vapability could be required. Definitely a strong consideration.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Goose View Post
    So I own a Minolta XD7 (XD11 for American users) and few months ago I had the opportunity to by a Sigma 400mm f8 mirror lens in MD mount but how do you use this correctly on a XD7?? There is no diaphragm in this lens thus no extra lug to let the camera know there is one. So i'm guessing the camera just measuring the incoming light and does not take any account of the missing diaphragm? Do I have to use Automode, Aperture Priority Mode or Manual Mode?
    You guessed right!
    You an use the XD in aperture priority or manual. The meter should give you the same shutter speed for either.
    In manual you meter for f8 & set the speed. In Auto the camera sets the speed.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    35mm

400 mirror F 8

Hi Uncle goose! I know this is an old thread but, I have a small passion for mirror lenses and have never heard/read anything about your lens. Isn't it maybe a 400 F 5,6 ??? If indeed it is a F 8, I'd be really really interested in some pictures and of course I'd like to buy that lens from you. Please, let me know, and thanks a lot. Philippe

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin