Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,299   Posts: 1,535,776   Online: 733

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by sjg View Post
    Another wide angle lens question... would I find it difficult using a manual focus 20mm lens on a nikon F100, as opposed to one with AF?

A little more background:
    I've a lovely nikon 70-300 G VR lens which I'd like to use with film and believe the F100 would support all the clever stuff this lens can do, however I would like my next nikon lenses to be able to operate with as wide a range of bodies as possible, so that I'd be able to consider an older nikon body at a later date.

Does my reasoning make sense, or is there a high likelihood I'll regret the combination?
    Yes!!

I use a 28mm Ai-s lens on my F100, (20mm now sold) No Problems!

F100 will support VR & G mount Lenses

I bought the F100 for same reason, All the Lenses I have that fit on my D3 will work perfectly on my F100!
    Nikon user

"Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing" Optimus Prime

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I wouldn't worry about focussing on the matte screen of the F100. The widest I have is a manual focus Nikkor 24mm F2.8. Yes, the focus indicator does work, but the screen is nice and bright and I have no trouble with detecting focus, even in quite dim light. I have swapped out all the screens on my other MF Nikons and replaced then with plain matte/gridded as I prefer it anyway. I did look at a 20mm, but for me it really was too wide, it was great for a very few shots, but I found the 24mm more versatile. Even that is a bit wide for me at times, but that's down to personal choice.

sjg

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've a 28mm f2.8 for my OM2 and wanted to try something different, thinking I wouldn't notice much of a difference just going to 24mm wide.
    But if I'm not going to get the use out of a 20mm, I'll look a little less wide, maybe,

Shooter
    Multi Format
    On my 17mm for my Canon FD I use hyper focal. (btw I use my 24mm for hyper focal also.)

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have the 24/2.8 and love it. The 20/4 is too much for my taste, though as I recall Galen Rowell made a career on that very lens. The main point is that with a field of view that wide you usually have to be right on top of the subject to fill the frame, and shooting with 35mm you will not have a tremendous amount of frame (and detail) to spare for cropping.

What many 35mm folks are doing nowadays is to shoot with a not-so-wide without field curvature (e.g. a good macro 50 or such) and then stitch. It's not a 100% analogue workflow but frankly it has many advantages.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I use the 20mm 2.8 AFD extensively on my F5 (I'm told its the same metering and focusing system as the F100). The auto focus works just fine provided I do my job and double check which focusing sensor I'm actually using and that its focused on what I want in focus.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    i just purchased a voigtlander 20mm f/3.5 color skopar to use on my fe2 and occasionally my on f100. small, light, nice.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I agree with the others that 20mm is very wide. But you can have a lot of fun with one.

Regarding focusing, you'll have such generous depth of field that you shouldn't run into focusing problems. That depth of field should more than compensate for small focusing errors.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin