Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,826   Posts: 1,582,008   Online: 860

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Having been a camera technician for a few years - I'm a bit biased, but I would pick:

Canon AE1 Program, Canon New F1, Minolta SRT series, Minolta X700, XD 7/11, Olympus OM1/OM2. Nikon FM/FM2, Nikon F3, Nikkormat series

In Australia you can pick all these up for a bargain - both cameras and lenses. All the genuine lenses are fantastic - sharp and well made, and the bodies (outside of any obsolete battery issues) are great...

And I've had good results with most aftermarket lenses from the big manufacturers - Tamron, Sigma, Vivitar, Tokina, Hoya, Kiron (although if you are going Canon FD then I'd stick to genuine Canon lenses - the Canon mount is a bit complex, and maybe I'm a bit biased but Canon were the only ones who ever really got it right..)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dynachrome View Post
    There must be some interesting places you could go to take pictures which don't involve a high probability of violence. This part of your posting doesn't have to do with cameras or photography. It has to do with judgment.
    I agree. You could find a whole lot of SLR candidates out there, but why bother. No camera is worth your own physical harm... Some even are hard to tell from new digitals from a distance. I usually just take a quality olympus, fuji, nikon or konica point-and-shoots if there's a chance to wander into sketchy unplanned situations. You can get them by the dozen these days... and shoot great street stuff.

-BG

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have to put a good word in for the Yashica TL-Electro or its slightly older sibling, the TL-E; reliable mechanical cloth shutter that sounds like a cannon when released. A plethora of M42 lenses around and also, the lights in the viewfinder without a moving needle should still be operable after launching it against your assailant.

Cheers, Allan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm honestly surprised that the lowly Argus C3 doesn't get more love. The all-American rangefinder, great lens, quirky-cool in a steampunk, ugly-duckling sort of way, easy to work on. I got my first one at an antique store in St. Louis and it was love at first roll.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Christian View Post
    I'm honestly surprised that the lowly Argus C3 doesn't get more love. The all-American rangefinder, great lens, quirky-cool in a steampunk, ugly-duckling sort of way, easy to work on. I got my first one at an antique store in St. Louis and it was love at first roll.
    I concur Terry, but with my advancing years I can no longer see the RF patch in them. The C-3 was my very first real 35mm camera (1967)and it holds a place in my heart. I can still hear my old chums saying "here comes Rick with that f'ing camera again", I took pics of everything we did.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    35mm
    I would vote for the Ricoh"s particularly the XR2, Imagine a Pentax K1000 on steroids, better built than later Pentaxes, with self timer,DOF preview, built in eyepiece shade (like Nikon pro models) and aperture priority AE or manual. And it takes all K mount lenses.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Convert to digital??? Hmmmm.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Canon FTb is a good choice.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nikon N75 - the last SLR Nikon designed. The 28-80 zoom that it often comes with is really excellent for the price.

Cameras go for $25-$60, ditto the lens.

It won't bash anyone's skull. It is a real flea-weight, coming in at 20oz or so with lens.

"Don't beat me up, sir. Here, have this nice camera. It's a Nikon - worth a fortune - you can get $700 for it on ebay ..."
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    35mm
    Any Canon FD because the lenses are good and cheap as they won't convert to digital (successfully). Nikkormats are ridiculously inexpensive for a camera built to the same standard as the F/F2 without the system gubbins. Yashica FR with an ML lens would be my choice. Its only known weakness is a suspect frame counter but the FR is an amazingly capable camera that's built like a brick and some period reviews rated it higher than the equivalent Contax.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin