Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,205   Posts: 1,531,698   Online: 1162

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikon Collector View Post
    I would vote for the Ricoh"s particularly the XR2, Imagine a Pentax K1000 on steroids, better built than later Pentaxes, with self timer,DOF preview, built in eyepiece shade (like Nikon pro models) and aperture priority AE or manual. And it takes all K mount lenses.
    Is it all metal or a hybrid with plastic?
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I'll have to agree with Jeff on The FTb's. While they are angular, they're more then capable, and known for their resistance to heat or cold except for the battery of course. It would be hard to find a sharper shooter then one with a 50mm F1.4, and the rest of the Canon lineup has some stellar performers.

The Nikkormats for the prices they are going for are some underrated cameras and the non-Ai lenses can be great. Just depends on how much you want to carry.

I'm starting to explore the KISS system with a K1000 and screwmounts. Less is better.
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jordanstarr View Post
    I don't have a set criteria really. I'd like a 24mm, 35mm and 50mm lens for sure and probably a good tele-portrait lens too. I'd like it for under $200, but with a 24mm lens, that might be pushing it. This would be ideal, but not restricted to that criteria. What I'm looking for in this thread is something like: "Hey Jordan, I shoot with a ________ and I find it to be as good as my Nikon, but for peanuts". Then, I could do some research and see what works best for me. I know there's a lot out there, but I'm looking for people with specific experiences or knowledge about the quality of the images they produce because I don't have money to buy 5 different systems, test and get down to one system. My criteria is lenses that produce great results, but go unnoticed do to the demand of digital or are just not popular. They also have to be under my price range or I'd just chance it and go shoot with my Nikon.
    With a bit of searching you should be able to find a good Canon AE-1 Program and FD series lenses for not much more than you listed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Another vote for the Argus C-3, bought my first one about 6 years ago and use one often.
    David
    “In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took,
    but how many moments took your breath away.”
    ― Shing Xiong

Shooter
    35mm
    Get a Nikkormat. My partner dropped one 10-12 feet on to the cement floor at a concert and only dented a corner jamming the back release and denting a lens hood. It still worked and we removed the dent in the bottom plate with a hammer and shot with it for the rest of the weekend. They don't need AI lenses and the FT2s use modern lithium MS23s

In a sketchy situation they double as a club or a mace if you swing it at the end of the strap

Shooter
    Large Format
    Everyone on the planet knows the brand name Nikon. I shot Contax for years starting in the early 1980's and no one ever approached me that recognized the brand.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I hate plastic cameras. They may work for some people, but I can't stand them, especially when solid, pro-level cameras which were once out of reach of regular photographers can now be had for cheap. I just picked up a Nikon F3HP with an MD4 motor drive and lens for less than what I paid for just a used MD4 back in 1990. The 50/300 ED zoom I lusted after in 1990 (and which cost $3500 back the) I just managed to find now for $500.

Top picks for me would be the Pentax SP and 55/2 Super Takumar, a SRT 101 with a 50 or 58/1.4 MC Rokkor, or the Canon FTB, or even an F1 (I just got a nice F1 for $100) with a FD 50/1.4 lens. For rangefinders, the best bang for the buck is the Yashica Electro 35. All the full-size Electros use the same lens, later models have a flash hot shoe, and a larger film speed range. If you want interchangeable lenses, get a Canon 7 or Canon P with a 50/1.8 LTM lens. Stay away from the Russian crap unless you are mechanically-inclined.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Get yourself a nice Agfa Clack for $10 and spend the rest of your money on roll film, some developer and having a good time.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Agfa_Clack_002.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	124.4 KB 
ID:	71553
    "Have fun and catch that light beam!"
    Bert from Holland
    my blog: http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl
    my Linkedin pinhole group: http://tinyurl.com/pinholegroup

* I'm an analogue enthusiast, trying not to fall into the digital abyss.
    * My favorite cameras: Hasselblad SWC, Leica SL, Leica M7, Russian FKD 18x24, Bronica SQ-B and RF645, Rolleiflex T2, Nikon F4s, Agfa Clack and my pinhole cameras

Shooter
    Medium Format
    For Canon FD (if you like heavier Cameras) I would recommend a heavily used F1 new. I got mine on ebay for 60 Euros as it had the a heavily dented AE Finder (AE screen display does not work anymore) and the Camera has some brass too.
    But it is a great match needle camera with automatic options. you can take worn ones at it is very solid. If you can stand a little "professional used" look I much prefer it to the Ftb (no battery problem, 1/2000, bright laser matte viewfinder, rock solid, better shutter sound, modern Si Cell metering etc...)
    It is really a great tool with extraoridinary bulid quality.! And the 1.4/50 is really great and cheap...

For a lighter camera I would recommend the Olympus OM2..., it is like a Leica SLR should have been...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In the hey-day of 35mm film there were very few 35mm cameras that could not properly expose a focused sharp clear image on the film.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin