Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,842   Posts: 1,582,633   Online: 1033

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RMP-NikonPro View Post
    Simple! no need to look any further!

NIKON FM3a!!

Simple! no need to look any further!

Leicaflex SL2!!!
    (Sorry, couldn't resist!)
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    35mm
    As long as it's a

NIKON

You won't go Wrong!!

Nikon user

"Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing" Optimus Prime

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by whlogan View Post
    Nikon F3HP... far and away

Logan
    Ditto
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nikon F2AS
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    OP was looking for opinions on F3 & F1's not the kitchen sink.
    The Nikon F3 is totally battery dependent except for 1/90. It also has 100% viewfinder coverage. Metering is 80/20
    Canon f1N or new F1 has mechanical speeds above 1/90 in manual and requires different finders for different exposure modes.
    The original F1 and F1n are fully mechanical except for meter and have 12% metering area.
    Both will fill the need for your shooting pleasure. IMO the F3 is smoother & quieter than the F1's.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have many nice manual focus SLRs. One of my favorites is the Canon F-1. It came out just as Nikon was transitioning from the F to the F2. I find the size and shape of the F-1 less ungainly that that of the F or F2. The meter is built into the body so the standard prism finder is not so big. You get a 12 degree spot meter and a nice variety of focusing screens. It seems more common to find an F-1 with a working meter or a meter which can be serviced than to find a Nikon F or early F2 in the same condition. The F-1 and F-1n models have the older CdS type meters. With a Nikon F2 you can get a later DP-11 or DP-12 meter prism and also have AI functioning. The problem is that the F2A and F2AS models are much more expensive. The newer Canon F-1N (1981 to about 1996) has improved metering, slightly improved finder brightness and more metering modes but is missing mirror lock-up. Motor drives for the Canon F-1 or Nikon F2 are large and cumbersome. If I need to shoot with a motor and I can live with no removable finder and 3.5 FPS then a Nikon FE or FE2 with an MD12 is a lot easier to handle. Both of these cameras have interchangeable focusing screens and that makes them easier to use with slower lenses or for macro work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Both; Nikon F3 and Canon F-1N nare great cameras, but I find myself shooting more with my Nikon F and the F2. I like to shoot with a Hand Held Meter anyway. I dont trust the ones in the cameras.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hey, there are many good cameras, such as Leicaflex SL2 or the early Canon pro models. But, and its a BIG BUT, only Nikon has the lens compatibility that spans from the beginning to the most current models. Only Nikon. And the Nikon lens are probably the best Japanese lens ever made.

So, looking for the most bang for the buck with a quality camera with many many lens options, leaves only Nikon. Question is which one. Frankly, the minimum needed, IMHO, is ability to take a picture if the battery dies or no batteries at all, and MLU. Higher flash speeds are a bonus but never ever stopped me from getting a good picture.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks again for all of the very helpful comments. I am leaning towards Nikon as posted about their lens selection and the ability to use the lens with the F4S (another favorite I hope to add someday). I totally forgot that the F4S could use manual lenses, very temping but I wanted a classic square brick of a SLR. I usually near a store or town so running out of battery power is not a big problem. I have lots of battery powered gear that have much shorter battery life, so I'll just bring spares.

Hoping I can someday buy all of the mentioned SLR's in this thread.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Best ever manual focus ? Leica R 8/9; R 6 / 7

For merely wonderful, EOS 1v (Af, but great manual focus)
    Nikon F4 wonderful.
    Nikon F3, wonderful.

And the last of the F1 series. greatstuff.
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin