Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,198   Posts: 1,531,449   Online: 807

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by GRHazelton View Post
    I have an LX; a delightful camera. The only design flaw I've encountered is the lack of an exposure lock in the auto-exposure mode. The sticky mirror can be fixed, unlike the lack of an exposure lock.
    Actually, an exposure lock on a LX is not necessarily because of the exposure metering system. The LX measures the reflected light from the film surface and does it DURING exposure and ADAPTS the exposure rate at the same time, by this it is the neck plus ultra of real time exposure and metering. Why should you want an other exposure if the one that the camera uses is accurate on the very real moment of the exposure? When compensation is needed then there is an exposure compensating device that works perfectly. Exposure lock? Never needed that on my, indeed, delightful LX, sorry…

Philippe
    Last edited by Philippe-Georges; 02-15-2010 at 12:10 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "...If you can not stand the rustle of the leafs, then do not go in to the woods..."
    (freely translated quote by Guido Gezelle)

PS: English is only my third language, please do forgive me my sloppy grammar...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by leicam5 View Post
    Actually, an exposure lock on a LX is not necessarily because of the exposure metering system. The LX measures the reflected light from the film surface and does it DURING exposure and ADAPTS the exposure rate at the same time, by this it is the neck plus ultra of real time exposure and metering. Why should you want an other exposure if the one that the camera uses is accurate on the very real moment of the exposure? When compensation is needed then there is an exposure compensating device that works perfectly. Exposure lock? Never needed that on my, indeed, delightful LX, sorry…

Philippe
    Exposure lock is an absolute must for me when using an AE camera.

Imagine photographing someone standing on a heap of coal in a snowy landscape: Real time reading off the film isn't going to stop the camera from possibly metering off the snow or the coal....

Yes, I could compose and then see what's in the area covered by the meter, then guess what the compensation may be, then dial in the compensation (in the case of most cameras taking my eye away from the viewfinder) and finally remember to turn it off afterwards. With AE lock, you can meter off a middle tone (or the coal or the snow, if you prefer) and lock it in an instant.
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin