Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,012   Posts: 1,524,698   Online: 812

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    I just use a 4x6 photo (white side). I trim the bottom edges so it will rubber band (pony tail holder) to the sb600. I aim the flash straight up. If I want a bit more distance then I bend the old photo forward some or angle the flash forward a bit. It's like a cheap Demb bounce but not as good. Were talking party picture photography however. Much better then straight on flash but still only a step up. The sb600 is not super powerful and you need to watch the distance.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I made one of these but with a white insert glued in http://www.planetneil.com/tangents/2...-foamie-thing/

cost me about $3.00 and works fantastic.

D.
    My Photography Site www.lofgreenimages.com and My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A Stofen for it is $20. Since you are talking about party/club stuff I guess bouncing is not a solution. So try some white paper napkins (not too thick but not the the ultra-thin cheapo type either) loosely put on the head with some tape or rubber band to hold them on. Other contraptions are some tupperware. Just be careful not to start putting too many things on the flash head as you will strain the foot and may break it. And you will most certainly look really silly.

Alternatively, go to strobist.com and see what these DIY freaks are doing to their SB900s.

Shooter
    35mm
    You could also tape some toilet paper or facial tissue over the face of the flash.

Shoot a test roll first.
    I get it. Very funny!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Bounce the light off a reflector or rotate it to do the same. Vivitar use to have an accessory that hung a 8x10 white cardboard above the flash so you could bound off of it. Rig something like that.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nolanr66 View Post
    I just use a 4x6 photo (white side). I trim the bottom edges so it will rubber band (pony tail holder) to the sb600. I aim the flash straight up. If I want a bit more distance then I bend the old photo forward some or angle the flash forward a bit. It's like a cheap Demb bounce but not as good. Were talking party picture photography however. Much better then straight on flash but still only a step up. The sb600 is not super powerful and you need to watch the distance.
    hmm, this seems to work well enough. the foot is metal, so there isn't really a chance of breaking it.

Heres a photo of the setup, and one of a photo taken with it. it looks.. somewhat professional. not exactly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Photo on 2010-01-28 at 11.56.jpg   _MG_9032.jpg  
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    I just put a thin white paper napkin with masking tape.
    A napkin might scatter the light but it wont alter the percieved size of the lightsource.
    To soften the light form a strobe you need to make it look bigger than it is. So, like allready suggested, bounce the light on a big piece of paper or cardboard or what else you have at hand. Or shoot the light through a translucent piece of e.g. plastic like a white milkcontainer or whatever. Experiment withe the distance from flashhead to bounce or translucent matter and use the strobe at its wideanglesetting to bounce the light on as big an area as possible
    Move the lightsource as close to your subject as possible to make it "look" even bigger, this also takes care of the limited effectivity of the strobe.
    And last take a look at Strobist www.strobist.blogspot.com warning: Digital content.
    Best regards
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

S°ren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Soeren View Post
    A napkin might scatter the light but it wont alter the percieved size of the lightsource.
    But it will have a more radial or less forward focussed output and therefore light up more surrounding objects which will 'alter the perceived size of the light source'.

But yes, the napkin would be a hotspot.
    Cleared the bowel problem, working on the consonants...

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by nick mulder View Post
    But it will have a more radial or less forward focussed output and therefore light up more surrounding objects which will 'alter the perceived size of the light source'.

But yes, the napkin would be a hotspot.
    I've used napkins many times with success, even to the point of using yellow napkins to warm the light from the flash

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Just noticed the OP mentioned it was going to be in a club - reasonable chance the walls will be black
    Cleared the bowel problem, working on the consonants...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin