Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,745   Posts: 1,515,661   Online: 737

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by nick mulder View Post
    But it will have a more radial or less forward focussed output and therefore light up more surrounding objects which will 'alter the perceived size of the light source'.

But yes, the napkin would be a hotspot.
    Yes and the effect is hard to control. If you are not close to a wall or similar "reflector" the effect will be minimal. For years I used the plastic diffusor made for my SB28 and offcource there was an effect compared to the naked head but even so it is not that strong and the light still is hard.
    Best regards
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

S°ren Nielsen
    Denmark

T42

Shooter
    35mm

Marko's got it.

Quote Originally Posted by Markok765 View Post
    hmm, this seems to work well enough. the foot is metal, so there isn't really a chance of breaking it.

Here's a photo of the setup, and one of a photo taken with it. it looks.. somewhat professional. not exactly.
    Marko,

That's exactly what I have been doing for years. If there is a white ceiling low overhead, or a white wall to the side, they can be used also and in conjunction to deliver a soft, more natural looking lighting effect. There is even less risk of red-eye, since the illumination is even further from the lens-eye axis. There is a hint of sparkle in the eyes. Up closer, where ceiling bounce might throw more downward shadows, the paper reflector offsets that by filling.

The flash I am using in conjunction with your idea is a Sunpak 544. It is of the sort that stands on a cylinder-handle, on a bracket, and onto which mounts the camera.

Last edited by T42; 01-30-2010 at 10:20 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: dumb typo
    Henry
    A Certified Dinosaur
    Nikons F, F2, D700, Leica M3, & Kiev 4a

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Roscolux #100 Frost difusing gel.

http://www.calumetphoto.com/item/RC5...LAID=264906340

A 20" X 24" sheet of the stuff will cost $8.00 plus shipping.

Cut it to the shape you want and clip or tape it to the flash gun.

This is the stuff used on stages and in movies or television to color and diffuse spotlights. It's tough and heat resistant. A sheet of this should last a long time under the conditions you would use it.

If you don't like this particular grade of diffusion there are dozens of other versions of the same stuff.

http://www.rosco.com/us/filters/rosc...rder=no#colors

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How about a layer or two of plastic milk jug material taped across the front of the flash? Helps to tone down my Holga flash. Bill Barber

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use either Scotch Magic tape and add layers or cut down a film can for the smaller flashes and attach with the Magic tape. As has been said plastic milk bottles or even plastic 5L distilled water canisters are a good source of diffusion material.

Andy
    Per Mare, Per Terram
    Filmus Monochromus | Project Double-X | Daily Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Markok765 View Post
    hmm, this seems to work well enough. the foot is metal, so there isn't really a chance of breaking it.

Heres a photo of the setup, and one of a photo taken with it. it looks.. somewhat professional. not exactly.

white cardboard and elastic with a nikon speedlight
    (or similiar light that can be pivoted /pointed UP )
    the newer models of the speedlight have the card built
    into the unit and you pull it out. its not very big, but it works ok.
    white tracing paper around the flash and secured it with an elastic
    works too.

doesn't look professional enough ? thats funny marko,
    pros have been doing the card, or white cloth on the flash
    for decades
    if my apug gallery looks empty you might check these places

website
    blog
    sell-site

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Soeren View Post
    Yes and the effect is hard to control. If you are not close to a wall or similar "reflector" the effect will be minimal.
    Yup, if it were black walls you're effectively just lowering the output of the flash - at least that the film ends up seeing...
    Cleared the bowel problem, working on the consonants...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin