Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,876   Online: 1041

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Grodis View Post
    I wouldn't buy a "G" lens unless it was very cheap or free.
    I agree!

However, I was forced to buy the 14-24mm f/2.8 G lens because I had no alternative. This lens works fine on my digital SLR but is crippled on my F4 and my N70. It is totally useless on my F2.

The next lens I will probably buy will be an 80-200mm f/2.8 D lens; definitely not the 70-200mm f/2.8 G lens because I want all my lenses to work equally well on all my camera bodies.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by fotch View Post
    Just for my info, are you saying the G lens has aperture blades that the F5 or F6 can control somehow?
    Yes. F100 too, and some other bodies.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
    Yes. F100 too, and some other bodies.
    N-75
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    I wouldn't buy a "G" lens unless it was very cheap or free. G is not a feature, G is a handicap. G lenses are crippled lenses without aperture rings and completely useless for manual photography. If it wouldn't work on my FM3a it isn't worth buying.
    G lenses won't work on the FM3a but they work very well indeed for manual photography. With the camera like the F5 (and many others) you can manually set the aperture in 1/3 stop increment. Much better than the aperture ring.
    If you argue that the F5 is an automatic camera then the FM3a is also an automatic camera it's not a manual only camera like the FM or FM2 for example.
    In fact I found that the F5 is an excellent camera for manual photography although it's matrix mettering mode left a lot to be desired in auto exposure mode. I can set both shutter speed and aperture manually in 1/3 stop increment and with only 1 hand.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sometimes you don't get much choice, I wanted a 90 or 100 ish macro lens that went to 1:1 all by itself. ALL new lenses that do this, from Nikon or other manufacturors, are 'G' type lenses, which limits me to using it on my F100. I have to use an older Tamron 90mm on my FM3a, but that only goes to 1:2 by itself. I hate lack of compatibility between models. The best compromise is being able to use it like a G type lens by locking the aperture at f32, that way you have both options, but even a second hand 105mm Nikon micro D type is beyond my reach.

Shooter
    35mm
    I wouldn't buy a "G" lens unless it was very cheap or free.
    I used to think this way. Until the 14-24/2.8 came out. I'm a convert. That lens is PHENOMENAL.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin