Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,997   Posts: 1,524,297   Online: 841

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

The Pentax ME type camera

I have a newly acquired Pentax ME Super Program. It's acting just like nearly evey other "ME" type camera I've had - the shutter button must be pressed down HARD to get it to fire. I ordered a winder today, so I hope not to have to worry about this problem in the future, but is this trully a common affliction of this breed? Or is it more a sign of age? I have a Konica camera with a similar slow-firing, full-press shutter button too, and it sits on the shelf most of the time. Those electrical contacts must be getting brittle.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    35mm
    I could not agree more with your complaint in regard to shutter buttons that need a hard push. I got rid of a number of cameras because of this. I believe that, in hand-held situations, this foolish design induces camera shake. Anyway, I have owned just about all of the Pentax M-series cameras (with the exception of the MX). I had multiple bodies, and some, as I recall, did have that annoying hard-press-down flaw. The worst, though, were the Canon AE-1P and A-1. These are fantastic cameras, otherwise. I gave them up specifically because of the shutter release.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have 2 Super Programs. I have no problems.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have 4 ME Supers and they all have reasonable sensitivity.
    However, they are not as sensitive as RTS or EOS 3.
    Canon/Nikon/Contax/Mamiya/Olympus/Minolta/Praktica/Pentax/Pentacon/Zeiss/Yashica/Zorki/Kiev/Ricoh ...

Shooter
    35mm
    My ME Super's shutter release button is sweet ... but the shutter speed buttons can be dodgy at times.

Shooter
    35mm
    Well, I went out to test it more today, and it looks like the metering system is goofy. Shooting ASA 200 film it kept trying, on P mode, to shoot 1/2000 at f16. The snow wasn't THAT bright. It does seem to meter correctly on occasion...

Anyone have a super-duper quick fix for that sort of error? I was thinking maybe the battery contacts and lens contacts could need to be cleaned.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A CLA for an old camera is always a good idea.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I have an MX and its shutter release is smooth and easy. Unfortunately the metering system leaves something to be desired. It meters consistently 1 to 1 1/2 stops off. For example, if my Pentax Spotmatic, Voigtlander Bessa R, and my Pentax KM all meter at f:5.6 @ 125th, the MX meter at f:8-8.5.

At least it's consistent.

My recommendation on the stiff shutter is, of course, to send it on to Eric Hendrickson for CLA.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have an ME and an ME super, and the shutter release is not objectionable. Then again, both look like they have been fired a million times, so maybe they have been smoothed out.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have both the ME Super and ME-F and the shutter works just fine, smooth and easy. You probably have a problem with that camera. Here is a link that shows you how to take off the top cover:
    http://www.kyphoto.com/classics/pentaxmeramblings.html
    It may be something visible obstructing the shutter. Cheers
    Mihai Costea

"There's more to the picture
    Than meets the eye." - Neil Young

Galleries:My PN & My APUG

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin