Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,534   Posts: 1,572,717   Online: 767

Shooter
    35mm

Focus screen for N90s to allow comfortable mf

I have an N90s with an (i believe) E screen.

Is there a replacement screen available for this camera which has a microprism focus ring, and/or a split-image focus aid? I also use a Nikon FM2 with these features, and it is much more pleasant to focus.

I make good use of manual focus lenses on these cameras, but the dot interface is not pleasant, and is some conditions I really wish i had both a microprism and split image.

I've looked around, but I'm not sure which screens fit an N90s (though I doubt this would be a sought after upgrade) or which ones might have these focus aids. Perhaps I could trim a bit off of some other screen to allow a fit, or maybe they made the thing for me?

As an aside, are there similar options for an f100, that is to say microprism and/or split image focus aids? When my n90s gives up I'll likely buy an f100.

regards

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by jgates View Post
    I have an N90s with an (i believe) E screen.

Is there a replacement screen available for this camera which has a microprism focus ring, and/or a split-image focus aid? I also use a Nikon FM2 with these features, and it is much more pleasant to focus.
    As far as I know the only Nikon-made focus screens for the N90/s and F100 were the standard-equipment B screen and the optional E (grid) screen. Both cameras have an "electronic rangefinder" that indicates correct focus so apparently Nikon didn't see the need for a K screen or any other optical focus aid for these cameras. Whether Beattie or another third-party manufacturer ever supplied such a screen, I don't know.

Shooter
    35mm
    Someone reportedly grafted an EM screen onto an F90x:
    http://www.flickr.com/groups/565478@...7623256751186/

Personally I find the rangefinder on my N90 decent and is the better [> o <] ikind.

Shooter
    35mm
    thanks for that Pylon757, im going to try to trim a screen maybe in a week or so for a few bucks from Keh

Also I tend to agree with you on the rangefinder type, except I am far more apt to lose my focus watching this sort of rangefinder. Doing this is not why I carry a small camera.

regards

Shooter
    Large Format
    Beattie still offers both horizontal and diagonal split-image screens for the N90 and N90s. Look at this page - scroll all the way to the bottom:

http://www.display-optics.com/produc...rmat_nikon.htm

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin