Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,269   Posts: 1,534,440   Online: 958

View Poll Results: Which one would you choose, if economics were ignored?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • F5

11 21.15%
  • F6

41 78.85%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

I know I'm just dreaming, but... F5 or F6?

Yes, I've read countless articles. I'm hoping for your feedback, personal stories, etc, etc here. I'm looking for a camera that may replace much of what I do with a DSLR for my own personal stuff, and If I'm going to dream, I'll pull all the stops... I'll also include a poll.

So, if the price were identical, and availability of just the camera were the same, which would you choose and why?
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    This gets pretty personal. Both have plenty of awesome and the F6 doesn't win just because it's newer.

For me though, it'd ultimately be the F6.

The F5 integrates the vertical grip, so it can't be shrunken down. The F6 does not, so it's a more compact package which is important to me even in my sturdy cameras. Battery grip is optional on the F6.

The F6 is the only Nikon film camera to have full support for iTTL and Nikon CLS flash control, providing you the stick the right flash on it. This would allow me to work with my Nikon speedlights on an F6 exactly the same way as I do on my DSLRs.

That... is kinda it really. It's the little things that tip the scales sometimes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nikon F4S

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I got rid of my F5 for the F100 to save weight. So for me the F6 is a perfect replacement for the F100. Plus it works with all the latest TTL strobes.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    F100.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen Friday View Post
    F100.
    Me too!!
    Nikon user

"Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing" Optimus Prime

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen Friday View Post
    F100.
    What he said.

I already bought mine.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    F6, go with the latest and greatest.
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

Shooter
    35mm
    I've owned the N90s, F4 and F100, and if the choice was between those three it would be the F100. But, the choice here is F5 or F6.

I would go with the F6 for the up-to-date flash system and the optional vertical grip. Unlike the F5, the F6 can use manual-focus lenses with matrix metering. Also, when using the vertical grip, it can take the same EN-EL4 batteries I want to move to for my D300's vertical grip. Having the same batteries for both 35mm and digital cameras would be great.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Nikon F6 or F100, I have owned the F5 and F100, sold both as I wanna go electronic/battery free. The F5 is/was a wonderful camera, yet the unbelievable weight of the thing, threw me out and replaced it for the magnificent F100. Now, this F5 light is the best camera on the Nikon line-up price/fixtures wise, lovely construction (doesn't endure as much as the F5 tough) due to a metal alloy body with a nice rubber finish (except the back door wich is plastic), great ergonomics, nice AF system (at the time top, nowadays still perform) and an intuitive user interface.

I still miss that camera, was a very important machine to my photographic development, yet the quite similar (I mean costumizable size wise) F6 would be with no question my choice, it's the best electronic F ever made by Nikon.

No budget for the 6? Get the 100!

Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin