Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,986   Posts: 1,524,020   Online: 895

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Olympus XA3 weird malfunction!

Hi everybody

Some time ago I got myself a small tiny present, the Olympus XA3. I have been using it a lot but suddenly something weird happened and the problem is still there...the camera is on Self Timer all the time. Even when the lever isn't set to Self Timer. Has anybody experienced this malfunction before? Is there hope for my lovely XA3? Some kind of hard reset? I have tried to take the battery out of the camera and leave it out for some time, didn't help

//Kim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sadly, I have an XA which I just love(d) carrying around, that developed the very same problem. I found no way around this, but will watch this thread for possible solutions.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    If nobody else posts a solution maybe some pics would jog my memory - I retired from camera repair over 10 years ago, getting old & feeble-minded.
    The XA2 was the version I saw most but I always had a soft spot for the XA. Lovely little rangefinder, good lens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hope you meant pics of the XA itself. If you can think of anything to fix this, I owe you a beer, heck, a case. I really like this little camera.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0293.JPG   IMG_0294.JPG  

Shooter
    35mm
    An XA or XA3 that is constantly in self timer mode have either a cracked circuitboard or defective IC. No parts available. John

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Very common problem with the XA's unfortunately. I have taken one apart to see if there was a fix but it seems there is nothing that can be done.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    sa news i gues. It really is a very annoying malfunction

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Found a few notes I made back then & checked some of my invoices.
    I have no record of a faulty ic on an XA series that I can find. This and "cracked board" had previously been diagnosed before quite a few cameras, camcorders, flash packs etc. - and on one occasion a minilab - were brought to me which I was able to repair, the diagnosis having been incorrect.
    Water or moisture ingress often caused this problem and others - my notes tell me that when ic pin 4 is at vcc the timer operates and that there are a number of possible paths to this condition. Mode switch itself was sometimes the problem.
    None of this is good news I'm afraid - values being what they are the possibility of economic professional repair doesn't really exist.
    Not the best camera for a first diy attempt either I think.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by unclemack View Post
    Found a few notes I made back then & checked some of my invoices.
    I have no record of a faulty ic on an XA series that I can find. This and "cracked board" had previously been diagnosed before quite a few cameras, camcorders, flash packs etc. - and on one occasion a minilab - were brought to me which I was able to repair, the diagnosis having been incorrect.
    Water or moisture ingress often caused this problem and others - my notes tell me that when ic pin 4 is at vcc the timer operates and that there are a number of possible paths to this condition. Mode switch itself was sometimes the problem.
    None of this is good news I'm afraid - values being what they are the possibility of economic professional repair doesn't really exist.
    Not the best camera for a first diy attempt either I think.
    Well, looks like no free beer for you. Thanks for checking though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For a $20 bill, I'll send whoever wants it, an XA-2 and an A-11 flash(USA only) you can replace the seals on the camera, and have a nice little shooter. I'm not sure if the A-11 still works, but last time I checked the XA worked.

Rick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin