Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,092   Online: 1005

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

nikon F4 F4s alternative finder

Is there any APUG'er who's been using one of the alternative finders on a nikon F4 or F4S?

Specifically your opinions/experience on/with the "Waist-Level Finder DW-20" if possible. When used it's spot meter only but it's tempting for low on the ground shooting(macrowork) or waist level shooting with this beast.

Thanks!

rhmimac

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I find the WLF to be a waste of money. I am happiest with the right angle finder attachment that screws to the regular pentaprism. The best view is with a magnifying chimney finder but they are bulky and expensive and aren't all that much of an improvement.

A big plus with the right angle attachment is that it swivels for use in 'portrait' orientation - try that with a WLF or chimney finder.

Look for either a DR-4 or a DR-3/DK-7. There are several 3-rd party ones available, I can't vouch for them. The view through the Nikon finder is brilliant.
    Last edited by Nicholas Lindan; 01-31-2010 at 11:49 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Seems Nikon didn't find many happy WLF users for the DW20.
    Thank you Nicolas for the reply, I will investigate DR options you're suggesting.

rhmimac

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have the waist level finder for the F4S. While I do not use it often, I do find that I like the relaxed view more than the right angle finder. I spent very little to get the DW-20, and would not recommend spending much. When doing very low angle shots, or with the camera clamped in a tough to approach position, the DW-20 can be very convenient. Downside is the spot metering only feature, and that the view is reversed left to right.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Another advantage of the RA finder is the camera keeps all it's metering modes and displays.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin