Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,008   Posts: 1,524,585   Online: 1001

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    I thank everyone for the wealth of commentary here. I am glad there have been many positive remarks. It sounds like the OM2n meets many (if not all) of my needs and preferences.

I already have some Energizer 3v lithium batteries. I like the ease of putting just one battery in the slot. These batteries are still in their packaging, and are left over from my Nikon FEs (which I have sold). I have heard that lithium batteries are clearly better than alkalines, and that they are the best overall. Any other views out there?

Shooter
    35mm
    Galah: your comment regarding hyperfocal distance is music to my ears. I would say that about 60% of my shots are taken in this manner. I do not know how folks do without this very useful aspect of photography. It seems to be non-existent in d------ imaging.

Shooter
    35mm
    In response to maderik's comments: will the camera fire the shutter on the "off" setting when using a standard (i.e. screw-in) cable release? I have looked over the instruction book, and it seems to indicate that in "off" mode the shutter will fire, but it reverts to "auto" settings. I wonder if it will work in this manner in "off" mode when using a release? I would perfer it to maintain my manual settings.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bateleur View Post
    a good buy!

I notice there has been a warning regarding the foam, replacement is a fairly easy job. Jon Goodman has a kit of replacement foam as well as a wealth of information see http://www.kyphoto.com/classics/sealreplacement.html
    Replacing the lightseals in the back is the easy part. More important is to replace the same stuff under the hood. That's the part you definitely don't want to do yourself unless you are an experienced mechanic.

With the camera switched to "off" it will fire and expose correctly as the exposure time is calculated realtime during exposure. Only the display of the meter is switched off. The OM2n has two metering systems. One for manual mode and for informative purposes when in automatic mode. And a second one for automatic off the field metering which gets active as soon as the shutter ist tripped.

Ulrich

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks, Ulrich...thus, if I release the shutter with the camera set to "off," the camera will expose the film using the manual settings that are currently selected? I ask again only because the owner's manual seems to be indicating otherwise (i.e. that "auto" settings--namely, aperture priority--will be used in this case).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FilmOnly View Post
    Thanks, Ulrich...thus, if I release the shutter with the camera set to "off," the camera will expose the film using the manual settings that are currently selected? I ask again only because the owner's manual seems to be indicating otherwise (i.e. that "auto" settings--namely, aperture priority--will be used in this case).
    No, it will meter and calculate the shutter speed realtime. The automatic is actice as soon as you trip the shutter. The cam is never really off

Ulrich

Shooter
    35mm
    I guess it is still a bit unclear to me. If the "auto" mode is active as soon as the shutter is tripped, then would not it use "auto" (aperture priority) settings at that moment? I would rather use the camera manually--have it capture whatever manual settings I have chosen. I use a hand-held light meter and rarely do I need a meter reading from the camera.

PS: I use a hand-held meter because, over the years and with many different cameras, I have observed how easily a camera's meter is fooled (in many cases by a stop or more). In fact, I cannot think of even a single instance in which the camera's meter had the same reading as my hand-held meter. Thus, I do not trust in-camera meters.
    Last edited by FilmOnly; 02-04-2010 at 09:50 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FilmOnly View Post
    I guess it is still a bit unclear to me. If the "auto" mode is active as soon as the shutter is tripped, then would not it use "auto" (aperture priority) settings at that moment?
    There is a 3rd setting "manual" for manual operation that will use whatever speed/aperture you select.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Incidentally, I just received an OM2n in the mail yesterday. A slight upgrade from my OM2.

Ulrich: My understanding of the off mode is that it will only use the fast shutter speeds. I'm not at home to test it right now.

-And thank you for mentioning the problem with the prism foam. I will probably have get a CLA just for that reason.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks...where is this setting? I see that there is a "manual/off/auto" selector switch.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin