Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,956   Posts: 1,522,841   Online: 1020

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Olympus factory recommends silver oxide only. New 2Ns came with a pink sheet packed on top explaining why ONLY silver oxide batteries should be used. Meter errors (up to 2 stops) and shutter lock. The OM-2/2N circuit (virtually interchangeable) was designed (1975) around the 2 silver oxide cells (lithium 3V cell was not even developed yet). John, www.zuiko.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by darinwc View Post
    Ulrich: My understanding of the off mode is that it will only use the fast shutter speeds. I'm not at home to test it right now.
    No, it is in auto mode by default all the time. The switch position off only switches off the second meter which displays the suggested speed by the "manual" meter. The "auto"-metering system is active as soon the shutter is triped no matter whether the position is off or auto. I hope, this is clear enough. It took me years to find out. I always wondered why all my accidentally exposed frames came out well.

Ulrich

Shooter
    127 Format
    I think I need to add an OM2 (n/s/p) to my collection.

Gave away 2 OM10's to my daughter and sister and they're using them. So I'm down to only 1 OM10 and 3 OM1's !!

Never really wanted auto exposure before but the OM10 is such a great focus and shoot camera the OM2 has to be even better !!

-Bill L.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    R4 ..the viewfinder bulge...eh? have you had a chance to compare Olyimpus glass with Leica glass?

Hans
    Digital is best taken with a grain of silver.

Shooter
    127 Format
    I have compared the cost of Olympus glass to Leica glass. I guess that makes me a 'have' in the Olympus world instead of a 'have not' in the Leica world.

It would be nice to live in the Leica world however.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have never compared Leica glass to Olympus glass. I do know that (especially since I shoot prints) a 92% viewifnder is bad enough for composition, let alone having another fairly large "blackout" area on the right side. The design is very amateurish, and I wonder why the vaunted Leica brand went with this?

As far as I can tell, the R4 is based upon the XD-11, and the XD-11 looks to have the same viewfinder (which is why I never opted for an XD-11). I opted for the Leica strictly for the glass, but I wonder exactly how much better the glass actually is. I have taken some beautiful shots with Canon, Nikon, Minolta, and Pentax glass. Certainly, these other brands are at least a better value.

Further, Leica's design and features on the R4 were way behind its Japanese competition. I compared the R4 to a number of Japanese bodies that debuted *prior* to the R4, and found the Japanese bodies to be more advanced.
    Last edited by FilmOnly; 02-04-2010 at 04:18 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    To clarify a function of the 2N: The "OFF" position is a modified AUTO setting. It's purpose was to prevent battery run down in case shutter is fired with the lens cap on. In this case, the shutter should fire around 1/45th of a second. If you are shooting in bright light at an iso/f stop combination that would give you a shutter speed between 1/45th and 1/1000, then your exposure on the OFF setting would be correct. If scene is dark, requiring a shutter speed below 1/45th, then shutter will still fire at 1/45th, resulting in under-exposure. Hope this helps. (Spoke with this user on the phone about 10 minutes ago.) John, www.zuiko.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Great information, everyone!

Shooter
    35mm
    I do not know how folks do without this very useful aspect of photography[hyperfocal]. It seems to be non-existent in d------ imaging.
    I never understood why autofocus cameras don't have a hyperfocal mode that servo-locks the camera into the hyperfocal distance depending on the selected aperture. It would seem to be an obvious feature, but I've never seen it. The poor markings on many AF lenses don't help matters much.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    35mm
    BetterSense: I could not agree more. Both or your points are quite salient.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin