Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,848   Posts: 1,582,808   Online: 879

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Bought an OM2n Today...

Over the past ten years, I have tried multiple 35mm bodies from all of the major Japanese manufacturers...except Olympus. I have also tried a Leica R4, and did not appreciate the viewfinder bulge.

In an attempt to fill a certain void, I bought an Olympus OM rig today--an OM-2n (without hot shoe), 50/3.5 macro, 100/2.8 tele and a few other accessories. I see the OM-1 and OM-4 versions discussed quite a bit (especially the OM-1), but do not see as much commentary on the 2 or 2n. Perhaps it is because the OM-2n (as compared to the OM-1) violates the "operates without batteries" premise that some value so greatly? I reviewed the OM-2n's features and specs, and it seemed like a good choice for my uses. The viewfinder would seem outstanding: 0.92x and 97%--and it is unobstructed, too (apparently, the viewifnder information disappears or can be turned off). How soft is the shutter release? I do not like "hard" releases--i.e. wherein one has to press down more firmly. I have heard that Zuiko lenses are excellent. Will the OM-2n let you load film with the Winder 2 attached? My Nikon FEs refused to let me do this, with either the MD-11 or MD-12. Anyway, I welcome any opinions...

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The OM2/n is a great camera. Most of your questions will be answered when you get it. The lenses, especially the wide angle's are excellent. Note however that all the lenses went through minor revisions over the years. The latest are multicoated. The better and exotic lenses are harder to find, and are expensive when you do find them.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    > apparently, the viewifnder information disappears or can be turned off).

It switches to just a simple match needle in manual mode. But it only goes completely away when the camera is off.

> How soft is the shutter release? I do not like "hard" releases--i.e. wherein one has to press down more firmly.

Very soft. The shutter/mirror sound is also quiet and smooth sounding (e.g. not harsh or metallic) for an SLR.

> Will the OM-2n let you load film with the Winder 2 attached?

Yes. In fact it's recommended by Olympus to do it attached to minimize possible light leakage through the coupler port.

Shooter
    35mm
    This is my SLR. I love it. I graduated from an OM-10 in 2007 (well, by force, since my OM-10 broke) and have been extremely pleased with it.

I have the typical 50/1.8 lens but I also have the 100/2.8, which gives beautiful results and is not overly bulky/heavy.

For some reason I have two pairs of lenses that are very close to each other yet I usually find uses for them all--the 100/2.8 and the 85/2, the 28/2.8 and the 24/2.8. The 28mm has been my favorite focal length for a couple years now.

If you are desperate, you can operate the OM-2N without batteries--on B.

While I agree that the shutter does not need a firm press and that it's a very smooth sound, it's definitely not stealthy. Although I already try to be somewhat noticed with my camera rather than sneaking around, sometimes the sound still frightens people who are caught unaware.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by FilmOnly View Post
    Over the past ten years, I have tried multiple 35mm bodies from all of the major Japanese manufacturers...except Olympus. I have also tried a Leica R4, and did not appreciate the viewfinder bulge.

In an attempt to fill a certain void, I bought an Olympus OM rig today--an OM-2n (without hot shoe), 50/3.5 macro, 100/2.8 tele and a few other accessories...I welcome any opinions...
    I have one (along with several other Olympus OM bodies). I even have "your" lenses.

Great camera (great TTL metering)! Great system! The shutter is very "soft" (great for hand-held shots). You'll love it!

Make sure you use two Silver Oxide 1.5v batteries , not the 1.5v alkalines nor the two-in-one alkaline 3v types (the alkalines can go flat in as little as one session ). The silver oxide should last for several rolls (months).

BTW, I often/usually use the 50mm, 35mm, and 28mm (I even have a 24mm lens) using "hyperfocal distance" focusing: dead easy with these manual lenses.

Online OM2n owner's manual here:

http://zuserver2.star.ucl.ac.uk/~rwe...nuals/om2n.pdf
    Last edited by Galah; 02-04-2010 at 12:01 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    speaking of two-in-one batteries, I can get lithium ones for $3 i think. Will those be ok or should I stick to the silver-oxide?

Shooter
    127 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by FilmOnly View Post
    Bought an OM2n Today...
    Excelllllent !!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Great camera. I have an OM1n and OM2 as my main shooters.

Tip - check the condition of the foam you can see - light seals and mirror buffers. If it hasn't been replaced, or is at all sticky, there will also most likely be some foam under the top cover on top of the prism. As this degrades it eats off the mirror silvering. The prism then has to be replaced.

Get it CLA'd and have the foams done and it will last for years I am sure.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by darinwc View Post
    speaking of two-in-one batteries, I can get lithium ones for $3 i think. Will those be ok or should I stick to the silver-oxide?
    John Hermanson (zuiko.com) recommends the silver oxide, and I would agree with him.

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Congratulations

a good buy!

I notice there has been a warning regarding the foam, replacement is a fairly easy job. Jon Goodman has a kit of replacement foam as well as a wealth of information see http://www.kyphoto.com/classics/sealreplacement.html
    Regards
    Charles

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin