Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,921   Posts: 1,584,958   Online: 1113

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Would you return this lens?

I just received a Nikon 28-70 3.5/4.5 AF-D lens from Adorama today. It was listed as E+, bought it for $119.00.

I took the lens out today and shot a roll of film with it. I seems to focus well, there are no visible scratches or marks on the barrel or glass. My concern is that when zooming from 28mm to 70mm it seems to bind at about 45mm. I need to tighten my grip and apply about double the force to get it past this point, it then moves easily again. Zooming in the opposite direction binds, but not as bad at about 50mm. This is the area where the barrel changes from shortening to lengthening.

It seems to work fine, but I've never had a lens bind like this. Is this something that may loosen over time? It does not appear that this lens has been used much.

According to Adorama's return policy, I have 14 days to return it for a full refund, less shipping. They only have two others listed, and neither is E+.
    What do you guys think?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I had this problem with a lens I was given once. It did loosen eventually but it took quite of turning back and forth. You might want to return it.
    Bachelor of Fine Arts and Bachelor of Arts: Journalism - University of Arkansas 2014

Canon A-1, Canon AE-1, Canon Canonet GIII 17, Argus 21, Rolleicord Va, Mamiya RB67, Voigtländer Bessa

http://darkroom317.deviantart.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have two Nikon lenses that do the same. I have had them since they were new and they slowly developed the problem. In my case it has not gone away. They still work so in your case I would say it is a judgment call.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Send it back. It isn't right. I've been in similar situations, kept the item, then later regreted it almost every time. I bought a Hasselblad lens from Adorama once. It was slightly loose and that always bothered me but I kept it. Later it became really loose and I was stuck with a $500 repair.

Terry

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Send it back, muy pronto!! Like right now..... buy lenses from KEH.... no where else!!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would return it if I was in your situation. I'm very picky about my equipment. At that price range, any repair will surely cost as much or even more than the price paid - meaning fixing it later is out of question. It already bothers you enough to ask this question. I bet it will bother you every time you use the lens.

I've bought used equipment from Adorama and KEH. I'm happy with both. It's used equipment. Luck plays a big role in what you get. They might inspected stuff when they buy but unlikely, they'll inspect again when they sell. I wouldn't draw too much conclusion from this experience....
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks. You've convinced me.

I've printed up the "Return Merchandise Form" from their website and repacked the lens. I'll be sending it back to them in the morning. As long as this return goes well, I won't take them off my list, but am tending towards KEH. Haven't had a single problem with anything from them and all items have been better than I expected.

I'll probably give Adorama another shot at some point.

Shooter
    35mm
    Received a full, 100% refund from Adorama today. Very satisfied. Will definitely do business with them again.

Shooter
    35mm

Message from Helen at Adorama Camera

Quote Originally Posted by LyleB View Post
    Received a full, 100% refund from Adorama today. Very satisfied. Will definitely do business with them again.
    Delighted to hear it; and please, don't forget that I'm only an email away if you ever need after-sales advice or support with an order from Adorama.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks, I'll keep you in mind. The young lady from Customer Service I spoke with on the phone was very pleasant and helpful, no hesitation at all about accepting the return. Perfect Customer service as far as I'm concerned.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin