Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,544,962   Online: 786

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1234 View Post
    I chanted (not said), "Abbra cadabra... FLOAT, you magical bit of optical wonder"!! Maybe I didn't use the correct chant?!
    Maybe... yes...
    But i still suspect your previous hunch (the non-obese water one) is nearer the mark.

Or... maybe it wasn't a floating element (it didn't, right?), but a flouting element?
    What that would entail exactly, i don't know. Yet. But how about it?

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I chanted (not said), "Abbra cadabra... FLOAT, you magical bit of optical wonder"!! Maybe I didn't use the correct chant?!
    You should have gone OM

()

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Someonenameddavid View Post
    You should have gone OM

()
    With a Nikkor?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    ^^^^ I think he meant o-o-h-h-m-m-m-m-m.......... o-o-h-h-m-m-m-m-m.......... o-o-h-h-m-m-m-m-m.......... o-o-h-h-m-m-m-m-m..........

Then again, he was probably making a pun.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    I should have added that retro-focus wide-angle lenses are much more prone to reduction of image quality at different focussing distance (typically short distances) than standard wide-angle constructions.

That is why there are no floating elements used in those.
    Ahem....getting back to the original topic, I agree with this. Wide lenses on SLRs are already at a disadvantage, so anything to improve them is a good thing. Another fault of wide retrofocus lenses at close subject distances can be significant barrel/pincushion distortion, even if they are close to perfectly rectilinear at, say 6 feet or infinity.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ^^^^ I think he meant o-o-h-h-m-m-m-m-m.......... o-o-h-h-m-m-m-m-m.......... o-o-h-h-m-m-m-m-m.......... o-o-h-h-m-m-m-m-m..........
    Seems like that would create a lot of resistance.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Then again, he was probably making a pun.
    It lens itself to that.

Not that I'm OM-niscient.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I've got a OM zuiko 28mm f3.5 and it's a brilliant little performer. I haven't used it very extensively but it has performed well when I did. Would it be f2.8 or f2, and I'd be using this much more. The VF brightness is a bit low, but very useable. I often like to use it with a PL and the VF gets dim.
    It seems better than the 50mm f1.8 at close focus. The 50mm shows a mild curvature of field, the 28mm doesn't. I believe that the slow aperture may help to have a better performance.

They say that this lens has a small cult following in Japan's OM users, and I've even heard of it being as good as some RF leica wide.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have owned my Zuiko 21mm f2.0 for almost 25 years and I really love the performance of this lens. Remember the old advice on wide angle lenses "Take one step forward." With a super wide lens such as this it is a good compositional tool to try and get closer to the subject. I frequently focus this lens at some surprisingly close distances.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mopar_guy View Post
    I have owned my Zuiko 21mm f2.0 for almost 25 years and I really love the performance of this lens. Remember the old advice on wide angle lenses "Take one step forward." With a super wide lens such as this it is a good compositional tool to try and get closer to the subject. I frequently focus this lens at some surprisingly close distances.
    I believe the whole statement for "Take one step forward."is properly "Take one step forward. And if you are taking a vertical photograph, make sure your feet do not show up at the bottom."

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin