Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,952   Posts: 1,522,728   Online: 872

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

is floating element/close range correction on wide-angle lenses worth it?

Some wide-angle lenses like the olympus 21mm f2 were designed with floating elements.

I thought that by using lenses with such great depth of field, you could get just about everything in focus.
    Do you think it is really necessary for wide-angle lenses?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I don't think the purpose of floating elements is to get more depth of field, its to correct for other sorts of aberrations that reduce sharpness when you focus up close. When lenses are designed they're, for the most part, designed with focus at infinity in mind. When focusing *really* close, you lose sharpness, not depth of field, because the lens was not designed to perform at such distances. Macro and copy lenses are designed with close focus in mind, and thus don't function well at infinity. Lenses with floating elements are designed to perform well at all distances, so to answer your question, they are necessary if you need the utmost sharpness and work at a wide variety of distances.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by darinwc View Post
    I thought that by using lenses with such great depth of field, you could get just about everything in focus.
    Why do these lenses have a focussing barrel? Even large aperture fish-eye lenses have a focussing barrel.

`In focus´ is a relative term. For best results a lens should be able to be focussed. And then, as said above, one can design additional means to enhance image quality at focus distances off the range which is considered the main range.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    Why do these lenses have a focussing barrel? Even large aperture fish-eye lenses have a focussing barrel.

`In focus´ is a relative term. For best results a lens should be able to be focussed. And then, as said above, one can design additional means to enhance image quality at focus distances off the range which is considered the main range.
    Use the Zeiss Biogon lenses, like the Hasselblad SWC.

Fish-eye lenses are supposed to have barreling. That is part of the "charm".

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by thisismyname09 View Post
    Macro and copy lenses are designed with close focus in mind, and thus don't function well at infinity.
    I've always found my macros (EBC Fujinon 55mm f/3.5, Nikkor I.C. 55mm f/3.5, SMC Pentax 100mm f/4, Bronica PE 105mm f/4.5) to work quite well at infinity. Perhaps part of that is the high degree of resolution and correction they have to begin with.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I removed the floating element from my 55mm Micro Nikkor and dropped it in water. It sank!! So much for truth in advertising...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You should have dropped the floating element in the water.
    Not the 55 mm Mikro Nikkor.

Certainly not when you first remove the floating element from the 55 mm Mikro Nikkor.
    What were you thinking ... ?!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by darinwc View Post
    Do you think it is really necessary for wide-angle lenses?
    Yes, but only if you truly need corner sharpness at a wide aperture.

If your subject is centered and the rest of the frame is outside the depth of field then it won't amount to a hill of beans.

If you stop down extensively (well into the diffraction) then it also will not amount to a['nother, separate] hill of beans.

So, those are two prominent hills of beans that you must steer between if you aim to get the most out of the floating element lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1234 View Post
    I removed the floating element from my 55mm Micro Nikkor and dropped it in water. It sank!! So much for truth in advertising...
    Ha, maybe we need FDA-like disclaimers on the lenses....
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post

I should have added that retro-focus wide-angle lenses are much more prone to reduction of image quality at different focussing distance (typically short distances) than standard wide-angle constructions.

That is why there are no floating elements used in those.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Q.G. View Post
    You should have dropped the floating element in the water.
    Not the 55 mm Mikro Nikkor.

Certainly not when you first remove the floating element from the 55 mm Mikro Nikkor.
    What were you thinking ... ?!
    The floating element is actually heavier than water, so you have to place it carefully on the water to make it float.
    Out in space, they're all floating elements.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin