Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,548   Posts: 1,544,554   Online: 981

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by FilmOnly View Post
    I had some "once in a lifetime" shots today of the historic snowstorm, and the last several are sure to be overexposed.
    Maybe not so much. The mirror sticking in the up position most likely has nothing to do with the shutter opening and closing. The mirror is not the shutter so its entirely possible that your photos are fine

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FilmOnly View Post
    Also, my 55/1.2 (non-asph) is exhibiting some barrel distortion. This, too, is very disappointing.
    This lens exhibits fairly extreme barrel distortion for a normal lens.

I have it. It is my favorite 35mm lens.

The 1/2 stop over my 1.4, and the barrel distortion are never at odds. No shot that I need 1.2 for will be bothered by barrel distortion.

If you want a standard lens, and need less barrel distortion, try the 50mm f/1.4 instead.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I'm surprised as well.
    For starters it wasn't that cold that you should have any issues. Maybe the suggestions that the lube is old make sense.
    I've had the same problem with the copal shutter in my 300mm view camera lens this year but it isn't that old... I think I'll get the lube done.

I have heard of photographers using a dedicated body with the lube removed for extreme cold.... but that was years ago when cameras didn't do as many tricks. The theory was the cold would shrink the metal slightly and you wouldn't need lube. No idea how well it worked and I'm not suggesting you would need any treatment like that in this day and age.

-rob
    Rob Skeoch
    This is my blog http://thepicturedesk.blogspot.com/
    This my website for photo supplies...
    www.bigcameraworkshops.com
    This is my website for Rangfinder gear
    www.rangefinderstore.com

Shooter
    35mm

you need an F

the F will keep working, well beyond your frozen fingers
    just wind the film slowly to avoid static

my N75 works fine at +6f, but I quit once my fingers are froze -- makes for a quick roll
    Kodak Duaflex II with kodet lens
    N75 N8008s D60
    Yashica - D
    Only a photographer knows the true value of infinity

Shooter
    Multi Format
    make a fire!
    vive la resistance!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ruilourosa View Post
    make a fire!
    Read "To build a fire" Jack London.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    I appreciate all of the input.

With regard to the shutter, I understand that the mirror is independent of the shutter. I mentioned the slow mirror because with the first F-1N that failed, the mirror had been exhibiting the same behavior, and the problem turned out to be with the shutter. It is an involved and costly repair (see my original post).

Likewise, such is why I am leaning toward thinking that the problem with the second F-1N is beyond that of a normal CLA. I understand what some are saying here--that it could be an age/lube issue. However, this was not the case with the first F-1N that failed...and both cameras have the same symptoms (i.e. a mirror that gets slower and slower...).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I had a similar problem with an OM-1. Changing the mirror foam and lubing it solved the problem.

Shooter
    35mm
    My New F-1 that I bought used had the same problem, so I sent it to CLA once, that was at Canon, and I was told that the problem was caused by the lack of oil/grease because it had been sitting on a shelf for a long time. So once the CLA was done there, it was fine and still is today.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had left my Pentax Spotmatic in the trunk of my car overnight during at -45C (-49F) one December in Edmonton Alberta Canada.(This was about 1979) I was able to wind it on and take a picture. I could meter as well, but it was a little hard to turn the meter on.
    When I tried again the film broke. I was able to process the film later and found the last shot to be fine.

The film broke like glass!

My vote would be for a slightly worn out Pentax Spotmatic with a slightly worn out 55mm Takumar.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin