Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,693   Posts: 1,548,989   Online: 786

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Sigma Pantel Lens - Useful Feature or Gimmick?

In amongst a bunch of stuff I bought for £10 last week was an Olympus OM10 fitted with a 135mm Sigma Pantel lens.

From what I can work out, the 'Pan64' setting of this lens is just an f64 aperture to give huge depth of field. I would have thought that diffraction would have taken over at that point negating any gains made elsewhere.

So has anyone used one of these lenses at its 'Pan64' setting? And is it a useful setting or just a marketing gimmick?

Any idea of the origins of the 'Pantel' name?

Steve.
    Last edited by Steve Smith; 02-08-2010 at 04:37 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    35mm
    I cant comment on this lens, but I modded a zuiko 50mm with an aperture plate for f50 and it seems to work alright. At least it got a dead lens to be useful.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I suppose I should try it out. I don't think I will use it or the OM10 much though as most of my 35mm stuff is Nikon, Minolta and M42 mount.

I may end up giving it away. If you're interested - watch this space!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    35mm
    hell, i'll take it

i <3 new gear
    Toledo Camera Trader and photojournalist

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin