Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,928   Posts: 1,585,176   Online: 748

Thread: Buying a FM3A

Shooter
    35mm
    I,m thinking about getting the 45mm, or should I get the 50mm 1.4?

Thanks, Roger

I think it depends on what you want to do with it. the 45 is reputed to be a very sharp lens and I know it's very compact. it would be an excellent package for street or travel photography. On the other hand, I'd get the 50 f1.4 for versatility and ability to work in low light.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I had an FM3a with the 45mm lens. I've since sold the whole kit for money, but while I had it, I much preferred using the 50mm 1.8D autofocus lens from my F80 with it. Reason? Well, it's faster and sharper, for one thing. Yes, the cheap 1.8D is actually one of the sharpest lenses I've ever owned, and I did think it was sharper than the Tessar-based 45mm. Also, since it's being used on an SLR, a 1.8 lens gives a significantly brighter viewfinder than a 2.8. The other thing is that, while the little pancake 45mm is compact, it may be a little too compact. By that, I mean that the aperture ring and the focus ring are very close together. I was forever grabbing the aperture ring with one finger and the focus ring with the other.

I imagine the 1.4 lens would be even better (though not sharper than the 1.8).

Pierre
    Ottawa

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images
    that the 1.8 is sharper. I thought that the 45mm was one of the sharpest mde, but I may be wrong. Regardless, I had an FM3A with the 45mm pancacke lens and I lived it, just not asmuch as my G2, so I sold it. Very easy camera to work with, though. And the lens is a blast to shoot with.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Luckily, I was able to make side-by-side comparisons, as I had both the 45mm and the 50 1.8. I'm not saying it's a huge difference that the average person would notice, but I don't think I would believe the reviews that says this 45mm boutique lens is the sharpest ever tested. For a 35mm camera, I would much rather have the extra stop or so, and certainly, for about the same price, I would pick the 50/1.4 any day, both for the extra aperture and for the more practical size (in my opinion).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I can't compare, becouse I have only 50/1,8 - the price is one thing, second is some reviews on the net I had read. It works perfect, FM3A is great camera JK

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin