Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,807   Posts: 1,581,465   Online: 1065

Shooter
    35mm

New flash drained battery, help!

Hello,

This is my first post to the forum, I will introduce myself in a moment over there, but I've got a question first.

I have a Yashica TL electro, that I've been playing with a little bit for a couple of months. Now, I really am JUST getting into photography, so I don't know what happened here but...

I purchased a Holga flash model 235B, and when I put it in the shoe, I took one shot, and it zapped my battery. Is this because I did not plug it into the X or FP spot? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Joe

Shooter
    127 Format
    Cold (?) shoes were made where the sides did not protrude far enough to touch the electrical contacts inside the flash "foot". There should be no electrical path.

It may be that either your new flash or your camera does not comply with that design and putting the flash onto the camera did, indeed, short out the contacts and drain the battery. (you may try a piece of electrical tape on the shoe to insulate the contacts)

This is from my observation in the past and I hope more knowledgeable posters can offer more information.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am not familiar with the exact geometries in play here, but I am aware that there can be problems.

On some of my old cameras care must be taken when sliding a flash in that it is not slid into the shoe too far, so that the central contact comes in contact with the metal chassis that lives beyond the centre contact area.

The other challlenge I have is rememebering to first insert the little 'bypass the hot shoe contact, I will use the pc socket instead' cord into the side of the shoe before sliding the flash into a camera that only incorporates a cold shoe flash mount bracket.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Shorting out the contacts of a hotshoe flash with a plain metal accessory shoe will not flatten the battery. All it will do is fire the flash (if it is charged) when you fit it to the camera.

It may stop the flash from working via a sync. lead though.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin