Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,497   Posts: 1,543,083   Online: 988

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678
    Shooter
    35mm
    Bodies and lenses are in the safe. Accessories are in the cases or bags that correspond to a particular camera system, stored with the tripods in a closet next to the safe. Each kit contains a lens pen, appropriate batteries, etc, or anything else that pertains to its camera, and a checklist. There is a dedicated station for rechargables. I can be out the door with most any of my systems in minutes. Some vintage stuff is out on display, but goes in the safe if I'm going to be gone overnight or longer.
    Last edited by JBrunner; 02-15-2010 at 12:21 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by paulie View Post
    haha well its hard to comment on such things when you havent tried it, will power is something you have or you havent.

i knew that i could try and not buy

experimented with most things at least once in my life, dont regret a second of it
    You're from the sixties generation, aren't you?

Shooter
    Large Format
    80's generation

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Currently using one of the drawers of a metal filing cabinet. If I'm doing a roadtrip or a daytrip, I'll pack a couple bodies (or three) into the Domke F2, and an assortment of lenses. Otherwise, I'll grab whatever body I want to take and whatever lens I want.

-J
    APUG: F4, F2AS, F, Nikomat FTn
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (f/D200), 24/2.8 AI, 50/1.4 AI, 85/1.8 K, 180/2.8 ED AIS, 300/4.5 ED AI

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The irony is that most of our film gear is really of little interest to thieves. It's not worth what it once was, has serial numbers, and, most of all, too narrow a demand for a quick sale with no questions asked. Always exceptions of course.

Problem is that the thieves are often too dumb to know this and will take it anyway. So I too keep the more valuable stuff in the gun safe. Or in a couple of small nooks and crannies that would be very difficult to locate.

Shooter
    127 Format
    If a thief saw I have all these cameras I'm certain the next day he will come back and dump all the ones he has since no one will buy them anymore !!!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Pawn shops will buy ANYTHING... at the right price. $5K of camera gear for a $50 pawn? Sure... come on in!! Thief gets one satisfying fix.

Shooter
    Large Format
    mike you seem to have good knowledge on such issues, paranoia or experience?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by paulie View Post
    mike you seem to have good knowledge on such issues, paranoia or experience?
    BOTH!! I've learned from life's little "got you's". I'm skeptical, cynical, and I trust NO ONE. My first observation of theft from a trusted person was at age five. Ive seen too much since then to ever trust anyone ever again. In everything I do I know I'm taking a chance.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DWThomas View Post
    My storage system is a work in progress -- which is pretty sad given it's been going on for about fifty years.

I have a Lowepro Microtrekker backpack with my Canon A-1 and "most" of my FD lenses. I have a Computrekker with "most" of my Bronica gear in it. I have a Canon EOS-<achoo! Cough> which resides in one of two Think Tank products. And then I have some plastic shoe boxes with one camera and most of its accessories assigned to each box. Unfortunately, I have yet to find one place large enough to hold and organize all this stuff. So currently its strewn-hither-and-yon with some light hints of a better future. Some of my bizarre photo interests have resulted in adding an alarming number of light stands, softboxes and a background stand that have further overwhelmed the closet space. Alas, in about forty years here, i am close to making this entire place a 1600 square foot walk-in closet.

"Good luck" [hangs head in shame ....]
    I don't feel so bad. As much as I would like to say "all in one place" I have yet to find a plastic bin (that isn't ridiculously huge) that can hold my big Voigtlander lens mounted on a 9 in. board. it currently resides in a big cardboard box on a TV shelf.

I have gear in closets, in bags and in bins on shelves and under the bed. :o:o If I go on, I'm going to realize just how much gear I own! :o Yikes!
    Diane

Halak 41

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin