Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,955   Posts: 1,522,808   Online: 989

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

How do you store your gear at home?

One of the replies in the "What's in your camera bag" thread got me to wondering. What do you find is a good way to store your gear at home. I find it inconvenient to have everything scattered among different bags. It would be easier to have a central storage for everything and just grab what you want on a particular day.

I'd be looking to protect from dust, moisture, and banging around.

Anyone like to keep their cameras on display? Glass cases?

Or is just keeping everything zipped up an the various bags the easiest and most protective?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It depends. Sometime in my photo closet in the cases but if I know for whatever reason I will not use them for a while I will unload and organize everything....
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Photo closet. GAH. Dis guy.

No, I prescribe to the Strewn-Hither-And-Yon method of photography gear cataloging and storage. Be it camera or darkroom. I know where it is. But everything does not have a 'place'.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Walrath View Post
    Photo closet. GAH. Dis guy.

No, I prescribe to the Strewn-Hither-And-Yon method of photography gear cataloging and storage. Be it camera or darkroom. I know where it is. But everything does not have a 'place'.

Well, in truth, this is what I do now, but it can't be best for the equipment. I was hoping to get some ideas for organizing.

Shooter
    127 Format
    In a big pile in the corner

(no... really)

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    jeez. Am I the only one on here that keeps all my stuff in ONE location????
    All the cameras that I am not using, I put in a gallon size Ziploc with some silica packets and place in my camera bags. All the bags are on a book case in my den. When ever I need one, just grab and go!
    I tried the "Strewn-hither-and-yon" technique but lost about 10 rolls of film for about 3 or 4 months. So, I go to the bookshelf approach.
    My weapons consist of 11 cameras. And counting... Be afraid.

We are the makers of music, The dreamers of dreams.

Shooter
    35mm
    Much of our gear gets infrequent use at best, so there are a couple Rubbermaid containers in the corner of my home office with things like flash brackets, tripod QR plates, extension tubes and filter wallets shoved in. I know where these things are if we need them. There's another Rubbermaid container full of random camera gear that is never used or is broken. Studio lighting gear is under the bed or in another corner of the office (hey, it's a 650 sq ft condo). Monique's Canon Rebel K2 and Pentax S2 (35mm) and my Mamiya RB67 live in their camera bags, ready to go. My DSLR is usually sitting on top of its bag or on a desk or shelf. There are other collectible, or simply collected or disused cameras scattered all over the house.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My storage system is a work in progress -- which is pretty sad given it's been going on for about fifty years.

I have a Lowepro Microtrekker backpack with my Canon A-1 and "most" of my FD lenses. I have a Computrekker with "most" of my Bronica gear in it. I have a Canon EOS-<achoo! Cough> which resides in one of two Think Tank products. And then I have some plastic shoe boxes with one camera and most of its accessories assigned to each box. Unfortunately, I have yet to find one place large enough to hold and organize all this stuff. So currently its strewn-hither-and-yon with some light hints of a better future. Some of my bizarre photo interests have resulted in adding an alarming number of light stands, softboxes and a background stand that have further overwhelmed the closet space. Alas, in about forty years here, i am close to making this entire place a 1600 square foot walk-in closet.

"Good luck" [hangs head in shame ....]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here and there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have some on display that I don't use (vintage gear that I've picked up over the years), the rest reside in their own cases/bags for me to pull out when needed. Currently I have:

• a Lowepro Minitrekker full of my EOS Film gear,
    • a Lowepro Stealth Reporter 650AW with my d***** kit for work,
    • an aluminium case with my Bronica GS1 kit,
    • and a German Pelican type case that holds all my bits and pieces for business shoots to go in the hold.

They sit neatly lined up in the corner of my *very* small studio apartment, along with my lighting kit - if I need to buy any more, I'll need to relocate to a bigger place!!

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin