Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 76,339   Posts: 1,682,152   Online: 1024

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Minolta 35mm SLR Question

What is the model name for the last flagship Minolta 35mm SLR made? I want to buy their pro best latest model on eBay but I'm not sure what model to look for.

Please advise, and thanks!
    Coming back home to my film roots. Canon EOS-3 SLR, Canon EOS 1V SLR, 580ex flash, and 5D DSLR shooter. Prime lens only shooter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If you're referring to the X- series cameras I would say it was the X-700. But if you want the best ever I would go with either the XD-11 or an sr-T101.
    Thank you.
    -CW

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Chris, the X series...were they pro bodies, and if so, did they make a grip for them? Is the X series better then the Maxxum line? Thanks for the response!
    Coming back home to my film roots. Canon EOS-3 SLR, Canon EOS 1V SLR, 580ex flash, and 5D DSLR shooter. Prime lens only shooter.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The Maxxum 9 was the last pro camera they made. Its a big metal bodied heavy pro camera. The X700 was the last manual focus SLR that Minolta made.
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    There are as many opinions on which is better as there have been users over the years. I have never owned, let alone used a Maxxum of any sort. But I would pit my sr-T101 against any camera out there any day of the week and twice on Sundays. And if you use a hand held meter, you don't need batteries. Completely mechanical.

They were pro bodies at one point. And when I was shooting weddings with A Moment In Time I was using an XG-M which makes that a pro camera, I suppose.

As to a grip, I had a flash bracket. I am not aware of an add-on grip. Never one listed in my Minolta literature that I ever saw.
    Thank you.
    -CW

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm not a Minolta expert, but I think both the Dynax 7 and Dynax 9 were two of the top models (known as Maxxum 7 and 9 in the USA). The 9 was classed as a professional body and this was released in the late 1990s. If I'm not mistaken, the 7 version came out a little later but couldn't honestly tell you the differences between the two with regards to specification. My understanding with Minolta was that AF SLR's which had the figure '9' was generally regarded as a pro-model.

With their earlier generation of AF cameras, the Dynax 9xi was considered a pro-model and this was available around the early 1990s. Going back further to the late-1980s, they had a model called Dynax 9000 (or Maxxum 9000 in the USA) and this was the top of the range camera at the time, the others being the 7000 and 5000.

There'll probably be somebody more knowledgeable on Minolta's who can explain a little better.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks guys...yes, I'm looking for their bestest, AF, flagship model/s that they themselves designate as Professional grade...I want to buy it for a friend that has a ton of Minolta lenses for his Sony DSLR...he's got the film itch and I intend to help him scratch it ;-)

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Hi, I have used both the manual focus bodies and auto focus bodies of Minolta extensively. You need to decide which one you're after, because they are two very different beasts.
    The Maxxum 9 was the pinnacle of development in its day. Honestly, even the Nikon F6 really doesn't have anything on the Minolta Maxxum 9. Weatherproof sealing, all metal construction w/ 1/12000 max carbon fiber shutter, etc. Amazing sounding shutter really. And I've never seen a brighter viewfinder on a camera. However...it's big. heavy. screams PRO louder than you might want...and with the lenses matching up to Sony Alpha digital bodies, the AF Minolta lenses are no longer a bargain like they once were. You could easily get a Maxxum 7 with nearly all the capability of the 9 (plus some extras!) for half the price.

Now...if you want legendary feel, small ROKKOR primes with wonderful bokeh, smooth tonal transition, nearly Leica-ish quality...you want a Minolta manual focus body such as the XD-11 (XD/XD-7). Maybe even an X-700 for a back up body and for the TTL metering. For what it's worth, the X-500 (X-570) has some improvements over the X-700, and is usually even less money. What it lacks is the "P" mode. Whoop-de-de as we would say...do you need "P" mode?
    Two resources I would check out: www.rokkorfiles.com for the manual focus gear. Read the camera section thouroughly. These are top notch performers that were NOT cheap in their day. But...BARGAIN now! And the lenses...man, there is just not a better set of lenses for the money these days than ROKKORS.
    Then I would take a look at www.mhohner.de and check out the camera section and lens section on the left hand side of the page. It will take you to an entire (rather large) spread-sheet of the whole Minolta AF camera line, plus the new Sony digital AF line. You can see the difference. Auto everything, every whiz-bang feature imaginable...
    Then decide if you want to go with the AF line or the MF line of Minolta...
    And come back with your decision, and we will be more than happy to give our opinions!!! On which one(s) you should buy!
    Good luck and happy shooting. Long live Minolta gear and Kodak Film.
    Jed

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Walrath View Post
    But I would pit my sr-T101 against any camera out there any day of the week and twice on Sundays. And if you use a hand held meter, you don't need batteries. Completely mechanical.
    Fully agree with you there - a fantastic camera. I remember my uncle owning one when I was a kid, and he kept it for many, many years. I'm sure he still has it.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Ah, you posted just when I was typing!

Check out the Minolta Maxxum 7 or the Maxxum 9 (Also termed Dynax or Alpha in other parts of the world) and see which he'd rather have. I've owned multiple of each body. Honestly, I usually shot more with the 7 because it's smaller and lighter...but both are amazing technology.
    (For what it's worth I'm back to all manual Minolta gear now, though.)

Have a look here: for Minolta's old pages on these AF wonder bodies: http://ca.konicaminolta.com/products...pus/index.html
    Best,
    Jed

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin