Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,592   Posts: 1,546,081   Online: 915

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I agree. The KX is just a K1000 with mirror lock up and dof preview. Usually sells for about half the price of the K1000 since it doesn't have the cult status of the K1000 either. I have always liked pentax. My advice is to stay with the Pentax K mount. The MEsuper is also a great small camera with auto exposure option.
    You can get an adapter for using screw mount lenses with your K mount body. Pentax is the only camera manufacturer (IIRC) that offers 100% backwards compatibility with their lenses. You can use any lens Pentax ever made with a K mount body (film or digital). The only exception is the short lived Pentax 110slr. Adapters are made to use 645 and 67 lenses on K mount cameras too. This has caused an upward push in used lens prices as the digishooters are buying up the used lenses. If you know someone who shoots Pentax digital, ask him/her if they have a film body or two kicking around they might let you have for cheap. A colleague at work GAVE me a Pentax Spotmatic and a KX body, both with working meters. He bought them off ebay for the lenses, and had no interest in the film bodies.
    Rick Jason.
    "I'm still developing"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've been an Oly owner since 1969, owned OM-1's, 2's, 4's, the original FTL, and a couple of OM-10's. Needless to say, I would tell you to go with an OM-1 , 2, 3(if you can find one and afford it, or 4. Never under any circumstance buy a POS OM-10(Oly fell flat on their faces with that one). The controls on the Olympuses are in the perfect place so you do not have to look away from the viewfinder to change shutter speed or aperture. Yes, it takes some getting used to, but once you feel where they are, you wont want to go to any other style. My currant shooters are an OM-1 and my 4 is at the shop for cla.

Rick

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have several K1000's and a couple of OM2's. I prefer the Olympus just because I have lost several rolls of film in the K1000. Problems winding the film on the take up spool for me, whereas, the Olympus is basically fool proof. Though I have some great lenses for the Pentax I need to use it more. I do love the cult status of the K1000 though like Steve pointed out. I would use both

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for all the replies. I have found the Pentax and two lenses, 50mm f2
    and 28mm f2 for $50. I think I would like the MX, LX, or KX better. The
    OM1 and OM2 have a 50mm and 80-205 lens for $100. The OM1 needs a
    battery, so I don't know if it is the mercury or not. I have also check KEH.
    I am leaning toward the OM's.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The OM1 requires a mercury battery but there are solutions to that.
    My blog / photo website: http://frankfoto.jimdo.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would suggest you stay away from the Olympus OM1 or OM1n, simply because of the battery issue (designed to take an unavailable mercury battery)

I have several Olympus bodies (OM2, OM2n, OM2sp, and OM10) and various associated lenses. I regularly use and love them all. ( I have a film in an OM2 right now)

I also have several Asahi Pentax bodies, incluuding S1, SPF, KX, and MX and various associated lenses (which I alternate with the OMs).

The benenfit of the later screwmount (after the Spotmatic II) and the K-mount bodies is they all use the relatively readily available silver oxide 1.5v batteries.

Moreover, in my experience, although somewhat "less sophisticated", the Asahi Pentax bodies are more robust and less trouble-prone than the Olympus OMs. The lenses are equally good, and frequently cheaper and more available.

Overall, I would recommend the Pentax line (starting with the Spotmatic F), for trouble free operation. ( I, personally, would opt for the match-needle metering models , as I find them much more user friendly under a wider range of conditions in the field than models with LEDs in the viewfinder metering display)

The Olympus OMs are great, and very charismatic, but inclined to be somewhat more tempermental and prone to malfunctions (in my limited experience).
    Last edited by Galah; 02-14-2010 at 06:51 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The Olympus OM-n models (single digit) have always been made for the professional market, the Pentax K1000 has always been made for the entry level amateur. Assuming two bodies of the same age, the professional body is superior purchase to the entry level body, all else being equal. The shutters and other components of pro bodies are designed to last for more total exposures. The frame of the camera of a pro body is manufactured to be sturdier, too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Batteries for the OM-1 really isn't an issue. There are adapters and new style zinc-air batteries that can also be adapted in with common items. I use a Wein cell, and its been in camera for over a year and still performs well. The battery lasts a good long while due to only operating the meter(provided you turn the meter off when not in use). Solid, rugged, and built for the pro market. My OM-1 is 25 years old, and is just now in need of minor touch-up.

Rick

Shooter
    35mm
    The OM's are ok.
    If you go for the Pentax find something else rather than the k1000. compared to the KX,KM,MX it probably commands the most money BECAUSE it was sold for less and was the worst of the bunch.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Beware. Not for the weak:

OM-3Ti, Zuiko 35-80 F2.8, T45 Flash, OM-4T, 35 Shift lens.
    http://www.zone-10.com

When you turn your camera on, does it return the favor?

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin