Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,807   Posts: 1,581,462   Online: 1064

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have a number of Pentax cameras including old spotties, K series and smaller M series.
    They are good cameras but I always prefered my trusty OM2n. It feels so good.
    No battery issue. And Oly lenses are so wonderful.
    Canon/Nikon/Contax/Mamiya/Olympus/Minolta/Praktica/Pentax/Pentacon/Zeiss/Yashica/Zorki/Kiev/Ricoh ...

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    I tend to go with olympus simply because they focus properly.
    Can't say I've ever been aware of any issue with Pentax focussing!

I've had/still have just about every model of Pentax from the Asahiflex to the MX (not interested in anything post M-series) and with the exception of the M's have found them all to be easy to use, reliable and to produce excellent results. The KX is a particular favourite of mine for all the reasons one would expect - far better value for money than the cult K1000. Personally, I have reservations about the M series. I've had two MXs, an ME and an ME Super and they have all given me problems (usually related to metering, which one would hope would be more robust than match needle, but hasn't proved to be so).

As for Olympus, I was given an OM1n a few months back. I have no reason to doubt its build quality, but the ergonomics left me cold, though perhaps that's just down to what you get used to.

On the other hand, as the adverts used to say "Trust your hands to tell you it's Pentax".

Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Oly all the way. I have them all; even the M-1. For the OM1 or OM-1n (MLU) you can use PX675 Air Zinc batteries. No problems. Use . La OM-2 is good for nocturnal pics. The best of the lot for me is the OM-4 T (multiple spotmetering). All are small, built like a tank, and light. They fell great in your hands. The Zuiko Macro is the best ever made. All Zuiko glass is excellent., Welcome to APUG:

Shooter
    35mm
    Can't say I've ever been aware of any issue with Pentax focussing!
    They focus fine as long as you don't mind the focus ring turning opposite the proper way. Let me know if you want to get rid of that OM1 or trade it for pentax lenses/bodies.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    They focus fine as long as you don't mind the focus ring turning opposite the proper way. Let me know if you want to get rid of that OM1 or trade it for pentax lenses/bodies.
    LOL! I never noticed that before (had to check my lesnes).

Though Nikon is also "wrong" (as are some Meyer, Schacht, Enna & Arsat ones)....
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I never noticed that before either and now I want to run home and check. hah!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken N View Post
    Beware. Not for the weak:

OM-3Ti, Zuiko 35-80 F2.8, T45 Flash, OM-4T, 35 Shift lens.
    Ken,

Nice setup! It is almost impossible to find the M. Grip Cord 2 for the T-45 Flash or I would probably get one.

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Very nice set up. I love their macro system.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    They focus fine as long as you don't mind the focus ring turning opposite the proper way.
    At this point I'm curious: Why did different manufacturers adopt different directions?

Why is there a "proper way"?
    Apart from the fact that Leica and Zeiss probably both used it...

Seriously, as it seems that Pentax and Nikon (and a few others) went against an apparently existing common use, does anyone know why they did?
    Contax (no longer have a Contax or a Kiev to check)?
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    35mm
    Why is there a "proper way"?
    If you've ever used a view camera or noticed which way the lens moves when you focus, it's clear that moving the lens closer to the camera (which would correspond to "screwing it in") moves the focus toward infinity, and moving it away from the camera (screwing it out) focuses closer. It's easy for me therefore to grab a lens and screw it a certain way when I want to move the focus a certain direction. Olympus is "normal"; for whatever reason, Nikon et al adopted "left-hand" threads for their focus.

If there is one thing I would hope to be standardized between camera brands, it would be the direction of focus. I would take either way, as long as it was standardized. But precedent (and my preference) is on the Leica/Olympus direction, and the others are abominations.
    f/22 and be there.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin