Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,283   Posts: 1,535,018   Online: 1086

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Interesting point regarding the “direction of focus” I agree that the Leica/Zeiss and Olympus direction is intuitive. And to fuel the flame, consider the placing of the lens diaphragm control on Zuiko lenses to be perfect too. As well as in its use ie closing down being a clockwise rotation. But this is a personal preference.
    Coming back to the original question I would opt for Olympus OM as an all round well balanced system, although the versatility of the Pentax ‘K’ mount has considerable advantages.
    Regards
    Charles

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    I wouldn't regard either focussing direction as being right or wrong, natural or unnatural, just what you're used to. Most of my lenses are made by Pentax and so all focus the same way but when I occasionally use a non-Pentax lens, of which I have a couple, the focussing direction isn't something that remotely bothers me.

Hopefully there's a momentary thought process along the lines of: "Hey - I'm turning this focus ring and instead of the viewfinder image getting sharper, it's getting fuzzier! Wonder what could be up? Hell - this happened once before - what was it, now? I know - I'll bet my pension I'm turning the ring the WRONG WAY! Let's try the other way - ah, getting sharper now - that's more like it."

Steve

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Your not getting a bout of GAS are you? Is it GAS season already?

I wouldn't buy either; In fact I wouldn't buy another camera. The one thing I've learned is that it starts quite innocently enough with a simple $100 metal bodied manual camera and then it becomes an acquisition feast of lenses, specific sized filters, hoods, quick release plates, flashes, CLA's and more. Then after all that, you'll read a post somewhere about xyz camera and lens that is the best ever with super sharp saturated pictures, or a large format camera that is so much better then anything else and you'll find yourself reading the photo ads to spend even more of your money and wasting your time by not doing something else that is more important. Personally I long for the days of just 2 cameras instead of drawer fulls that almost never get used and of which I'll never recover the money I spent. So I would do myself a favor. 1st, get off the internet and quit reading the forums (yea that will happen) and then 2nd, take one of your cameras and go shooting everyday. And then 3rd put all the money you think you would have spent on more old crap that will do nothing but deplete your bank account and instead put it into a travel account, and when you get enough go to a place of your choosing that is photogenic and not the same old crap you see every day.
    W.A. Crider

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by waynecrider View Post
    I wouldn't buy either; In fact I wouldn't buy another camera. The one thing I've learned is that it starts quite innocently enough with a simple $100 metal bodied manual camera and then it becomes an acquisition feast of lenses, specific sized filters, hoods, quick release plates, flashes, CLA's and more. Then after all that, you'll read a post somewhere about xyz camera and lens that is the best ever with super sharp saturated pictures, or a large format camera that is so much better then anything else and you'll find yourself reading the photo ads to spend even more of your money and wasting your time by not doing something else that is more important. Personally I long for the days of just 2 cameras instead of drawer fulls that almost never get used and of which I'll never recover the money I spent. So I would do myself a favor. 1st, get off the internet and quit reading the forums (yea that will happen) and then 2nd, take one of your cameras and go shooting everyday. And then 3rd put all the money you think you would have spent on more old crap that will do nothing but deplete your bank account and instead put it into a travel account, and when you get enough go to a place of your choosing that is photogenic and not the same old crap you see every day.
    Oh - how the truth hurts!

Steve

Shooter
    35mm
    I'd urge everyone making this decision to go for the Pentax.
    Keep the demand for Olympus gear low so I can buy it cheap.

Shooter
    35mm

Man, those are words to live by Wayne...I should print that and read it several times a day. Or at least between my browsing periods on the big auction site (I can't help myself!). Well stated!

Andy

Shooter
    35mm
    I ended up with the two OM's. I am still getting use to them, but I really
    like them. I would like to get two more lenses besides the 50mm. At least
    one a wide angle. Any suggestions?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Oh yes-- 24/2.8, 100/2.8, 35 shift, my favorites. i also have a couple of cheap aftermarket zooms.

Rick

Shooter
    Multi Format

Best advice I've ever heard!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pumalite View Post
    Best advice I've ever heard!
    Me too. Ufortunately, I have already taken the other option!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin