Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,772   Posts: 1,484,344   Online: 1204

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Me too. Ufortunately, I have already taken the other option!
    Steve.
    Buy both?

Art should unsettle the comfortable, and comfort the unsettled.

My photo website: http://frankfoto.jimdo.com/

Shooter
    127 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by david123 View Post
    I ended up with the two OM's. I am still getting use to them, but I really
    like them. I would like to get two more lenses besides the 50mm. At least
    one a wide angle. Any suggestions?
    Hi,

I think you will fall in love with the OM's.

I would advise the 2.8/28 or even the 3.5/28 since they are really great lenses and very nicely priced.

For a longer lens, you can try the 3.5/135 or 2.8/135. Those can be found for not too much $$$

I have had an OM1 since 1975 and, not being a pro or even super advanced like a lot of guys here, I can say that I used a Zuiko 3.5/28 for years all over the world and really loved it. About 15 years ago I got a 2.8/28 and liked it even better but it seemed to flare if I didn't use the hood.

A month or so ago I finally got a 2.8/24 and it seems to have great contrast and focuses well but it vignettes with a filter and the Oly hood. So I have to choose only one. I haven't tried it with color film yet.

The 2.8/24 is also a bit spendy, typically demanding $125 usd. I don't enjoy the 24mm field of view as much as the 28.

I prefer primes but for zooms...

I like the 3.5-4.5/35-70 zoom. Don't get the f4 or the 3.5-4.8. The 3.6/35-70 is better but bigger and more $$$.

The 4/75-150 zoom is one I've always liked but gets slammed on the internet. That's good though because you can get those easily and cheap.

Originally OM Zuikos were intended to all use 49mm filters and accessories.

Personally I stay with all 49's for my set.

-Bill L.
    Last edited by wblynch; 02-17-2010 at 07:37 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm very happy with my standard kit - 24mm f/2.8, 35mm f/2 and 85mm f/2.

I too like my 75-150mm f/4.

Matt

Shooter
    35mm
    I ended up with the two OM's. I am still getting use to them, but I really
    like them.
    The OM-1 is the main camera that I've ever used. To me, it is the definition of the 35mm SLR.

If they give you any trouble, I can comfortably recommend zuiko.com for service. My current camera is an eBay OM-1 that they rebuilt for me. My original (works fine, but dead meter) is waiting for the budget to send it in for the same treatment.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I like the 3.5-4.5/35-70 zoom. Don't get the f4
    Well, I have the F4 35-70 and use it a lot. Considering they are half the price of the 3.5-4.5 that is supposedly the better lens, I'd give one a shot if it comes up. Mine is sharp and contrasty - I've only posted two pix in the gallery, but both taken with this lens. I know the 3.5-4.5 was the "pro" lens and the F4 was the "prosumer" version, but its still a good-un - or mine is anyway.

Shooter
    127 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mr rusty View Post
    Well, I have the F4 35-70 and use it a lot. Considering they are half the price of the 3.5-4.5 that is supposedly the better lens, I'd give one a shot if it comes up.
    Fair point, apologies extended

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have the 75-150 f/4. Besides the others.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    This may be an odd place for my first post after lurking for a couple of weeks, but this topic interested me because I've had both a K1000 and an OM-1n. The Pentax was my first 35mm camera (as a high school student in the mid-'80s, naturally) and served me well as a beginning student. It wasn't complex or particularly sophisticated, but it got the job done.

Then I saw an OM-1n, used, in a camera store and convinced my dad I had to have it. It's the second and last 35mm SLR I've ever owned, and I've had it for 24 years now. I like the compact, light design and (although some may disagree) the general ergonomics of the OM. I'd agree with the statement below:

Quote Originally Posted by DLawson View Post
    The OM-1 is the main camera that I've ever used. To me, it is the definition of the 35mm SLR.
    (Now I find myself with a Pentax 6x7, so I've contradicted myself regarding the compact, light design, but that's another story. )

I'm a fan of both Pentax and Olympus, but in the K1000/OM-1 comparison I think I'd give the edge to the OM, or look at one of the other Pentax models mentioned in this thread (I've always wanted an LX).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I know I'm being mean here:

And:

These things rock.

http://www.zone-10.com

When you turn your camera on, does it return the favor?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    ... I would like a manual 35mm camera. I have found a good deal on a Pentax K1000 and another one for two cameras, OM1
    and OM2. Would like input from anyone who owns one of the cameras.
    thanks for all response
    I own a K-1000 and OM-2. Both are very good cameras, and very good systems.

The K-1000 is pretty bare-bones: no self-timer, no depth of field preview, and no exposure compensation. It takes great pictures however, and Pentax K-mount lenses are usually pretty cheap and plentiful. This is a fully mechanical camera, so the one LR-44 battery is used for the light meter only, not the shutter. Some people prefer the minimalist quality of the K-1000; no bells & whistles means less to get in the way of picture taking.

The OM-2 is also a very nice camera, and Olympus Zuiko lenses are top-notch. The OM-2 has aperture priority which I like, and is more compact than other SLRs out there. Like Pentax, there are plenty of good-priced lenses out there. The two LR-44 batteries run the meter and shutter however, so if the batteries die the mirror will lock up until you replace them. LR-44 batteries can be found just about anywhere, and cheap too

I'd say either one is a winner.
    Those who know, shoot film

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin