Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,960   Posts: 1,523,093   Online: 979

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Pentax or Olympus

This is my first post. I have read a lot. There is a lot of information here.
    I am still learning about photography. I have a Canon 7n elan, and a
    Mamiya 645 pro. I would like a manual 35mm camera. I have found a
    good deal on a Pentax K1000 and another one for two cameras, OM1
    and OM2. Would like input from anyone who owns one of the cameras.
    thanks for all response

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Either would be fine. for the money nowadays, you might find a Pentax LX. The K1000 is a very simple camera. The Olympus system is more extensive than Pentax, especially for macro work if you are interested in that. If you already have Canon gear, you could get an F1.
    Jerold Harter MD

Shooter
    35mm
    I tend to go with olympus simply because they focus properly. Pentax normals are better and Olympus wide angles are better.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jeroldharter View Post
    If you already have Canon gear, you could get an F1.
    The OP said he has a Canon 7n Elan. This camera uses EF lenses and would not be compatible with an F-1. The F-1 uses FD lenses.
    Bachelor of Fine Arts and Bachelor of Arts: Journalism - University of Arkansas 2014

Canon A-1, Canon AE-1, Canon Canonet GIII 17, Argus 21, Rolleicord Va, Mamiya RB67, Voigtländer Bessa

http://darkroom317.deviantart.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would go for the OM-1 because of it's smaller size. BTW welcome to APUG!

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The K1000 has no DOF preview and the meter is always on (not good if your lens cap is usually off).

The Olympuses have their shutter speeds and diaphragms in the "wrong" place.

How important any of these factors are is a matter of taste.

In the Pentax world, you can probably get the better K2, KM or KX for the same price or less than the K1000 (because of the continually repated myth about the K1000 being the perfect learner camera).
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    35mm
    All three models you mention are fine cameras. The Pentax K1000 and Olympus OM1 are manual only which means they are mechanical and not dependent on batteries (apart from the meter). I'd probably go for the OM1 as it offers better specifications than the K1000 and Olympus/Zuiko lenses are excellent quality.

The OM2 offers aperture priority as well as manual, and again it's a fine camera. In fact I've always maintained the OM1 and OM2 are probably the finest SLR's made by Olympus - but of course, that's just my opinion.

Either way, you won't go wrong with whichever model you opt for. I should also mention the Pentax is a bulkier camera than either of the two Olympus's, but in any case all three of these cameras are very reliable.
    Carl.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My suggestion is go for a K mount Pentax rather than an Olympus because there's far a greater variety of lenses and accessories available from a wide variety of manufacturers, and the mount is still current.

However I'd look for a Pentax MX because it's smaller than the K100, alternatively the KX & KM are often cheaper than the K1000 but with better features.

Ian
    Last edited by Ian Grant; 02-14-2010 at 03:41 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post

However I's look for a Pentax MX because it's smaller than the K100, alternatively the KX & KM are often cheaper than the K1000 but with better features.

Ian
    Ah, you beat me to it.

I was just about to write the same thing regarding the MX. I had one myself for several years, and it is about the same size as the OM1. As you say, it's better specified than the K1000, offering features such as depth-of-field preview and self timer. Certainly an excellent camera to consider.
    Carl.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rol_Lei Nut View Post
    The K1000 has no DOF preview.
    The KM is almost the same camera but has a DOF preview. It's usually cheaper too as it doesn't have the K1000's cult status.

Steve.

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin