Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,334   Posts: 1,537,503   Online: 1110

Shooter
    35mm

DOF Preview repair

Ok, coming back to you guys for some more brain/experience picking. I purchased a FE off of eBay last week. I've taken it out and shot a couple of rolls and it seems to work fine with one exception. The DOF preview lever operates hard and once depressed, it will not return to it's normal position. I have to use a key or coin to pry it back.

I intend to send this camera in for CLA if I keep it. Do any of you have any experience with this type of problem? Is it an inexpensive repair? It seems like a simple device.

Any experience or thoughts you have would be welcome.

Also, how do Midwest Camera Repair or Authorized Photo Service stack up?

Thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If it's hardened grease, a drop or two of strategically placed lighter fluid could do the trick.

Unfortunately, it seems more likely that the lever got knocked, bending the cam. Examine the lever carefully for any signs of impact.
    If that is the case, the difficulty of a repair is hard to predict.
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Is the lever stiff without a lens mounted? The stop down lever in the body should move when you push the SD lever. Not having a Nikon to look at here I'm working with a faulty memory.
    There's a screw at the pivot in the lever. It's covered by a plastic disc. If you pop the disc off, you'll see two spanner holes. If you loosen the screw 1/2 turn or so & the movement frees up it may be missing a washer.
    I doubt that it's grease
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    35mm
    Yes it is stiff without a lens mounted. The lever in the body moves with the outside lever as it should, I is just very stiff, and will not return without forcing it back up. I see the spanner holes, but have no wrench to fit. Maybe the jeweler here in town (also a photography buff) would have one. I'll check with him. Your theory does make sense. Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My best advice is take it to a professional repairer if you want it to work again correctly.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    Just thought I'd update, but to avoid cross posting, you can see the update in this thread:

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum52/6...tml#post960728

Very happy with KEH Repair so far.

Shooter
    35mm
    Another update in this thread. Still happy.

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum52/6...tml#post960728

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin